To heat or not to heat, that s my question

Aug 17, 2012
I found a post in here from 2009 that could have been written by me but a lot could have changed from then. I have a 16 x 32 doughboy 48" with a deep swim area roughly 6'. I live in the south and realize this year has been unseasonably wet and cool but even if I get "used" to the water, I suffer terribly after swimming in any temps below 82 with my arthritis making it a useless pool. We have 1 solar panel and 2 blocked solar trapped hoses that help but only in full sun which we've had very little of this year.

It's August and my pool has exceeded 82 less than 5 times (and of course that's when I'm at work).

I don't understand the difference between a heat pump and a heater, assuming the latter is simply connected to the pump. The expense of these things appear to run higher than the price of my pool; therefore, I want to buy what makes sense.

Can anyone suggest next steps? It what "not" to do?

Welcome to tfp, simpllady :wave:

simpllady said:
I don't understand the difference between a heat pump and a heater, assuming the latter is simply connected to the pump.
They are both heaters that would be plumbed after the pump/filter (both need the pool pump to move water through them). By heater, I am assuming you mean a gas heater...they use either natural gas or propane to heat the pool. The heat pump uses electricity as the means to heat the water (through a reverse refrigeration cycle). In more southern climates, a heat pump tends to be a good fit when the pool is used a lot and the ambient temperature does not go too low when pool use is desired. However, if you only use the pool once or twice a week, then the gas heater may be a better choice, since when well sized, they can heat the pool water much faster then a heat pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.