Draining Pool

Jul 18, 2013
I have a 16x48 Intex ultra frame pool that I put up this summer. We leveled the ground prior to setting up by using a sod cutter and then digging out the high side. Well for some reason we didn't do a good job and now there is a 2-3 inch difference, it seems the ground settled some because it seems to be getting worse as the days go by. There is one area of the pool that almost looks like its tilting slightly. I'm worried about safety so we are going to drain and re-level the area again. I know it's kind of late in the season but my kids love the pool. it's about 6000 gallons of water and I'm not sure how I go about draining it without flooding my yard completely. Also we got a terrible case of algae even after consulting the pool place locally. We just shocked the water so I'm not sure how that will effect the grass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

To drain the pool, you could try using a pump with an intake and discharge hose to give you more control over directing the outgoing water. Should be an easy piece of equipment to rent if you do not have one.

The chlorine should have a minimal effect on the grass. The chlorine should dissipate quickly once it comes in contact with the ground. Worst case (since you just shocked) is that there may be a slight discoloration at the point of water discharge but even that is iffy. Some members water their grass with pool water when they need to do a partial drain to lower CYA, CH, or for another reason. It seems to work well for them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.