Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 2600 pump - won't backwash, low flow, etc

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 2600 pump - won't backwash, low flow, etc

Hi all - last year, when I first got my Intex sand filter pump and hooked it up, it spit water out of the return with great force (way better than the old paper filter pump!) Also, when I backwashed it, water would flow out with great force.

This year, I have been getting the "low flow" alert on my Intex Saltwater chlorinator. I have tried letting air out of the lines, cleaning the underside of the top of the sand filter (i.e. taking off the "handle" part and cleaning underneath), etc. It helps for a few days but then I get low flow again. Matter of fact, when I first turn the pump on, the force of the water coming out of the return is really weak. If I let it run for 30-60 minutes or more, the flow usually improves. But it used to blast water out of the return immediately, last year.

Now, when I try to backwash it......nothing happens. A drop or two comes out, when it used to be like opening a fire hydrant last year when it was new. Also, when I turn the pump off, it seems to "blow" water back into the pool out of the skimmer.

I follow all the directions for backwash, rinse, and filter but it doesn't work (especially backwash as noted before). I called Intex and the best the guy could do was "your motor may be going bad", which is unacceptable to me b/c I just bought the pump last summer. I have been running it a lot, b/c once it gets going I hate to turn it off b/c of the aforementioned low flow issues.

What are your thoughts? Step by step instructions/ ideas would be great......thanks very much!!!
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 2600 pump - won't backwash, low flow, etc

There could be some stuff tangled up in the impeller....but if you havea strainer intake, check that first....they can get pretty clogged up with hair and stuff. That's a start. I'm sure some more people will be along with more advice.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Blowing water back out through the skimmer when you shut the pump off is indicative of a suction side leak, allowing air to fill your filter.

I am not familiar with the Intex sand filters, so I don't know if there is a way to release the air from the filter tank. If there is, let the air out.

Check all your connections between the pump and pool, especially the cap for the prefilter screen.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses so far. I am wondering about the backwash issue.......could the sand be so compacted that water won't flow through? Do I need to break up the sand somehow?

Even when i let air out of the lines, it still has pretty low flow.....
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you use the proper sand? #20 silica sand, NOT play sand etc.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, when i set it up last year i used the proper/ recommended sand for the Intex pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sand can calcify over time, need to check with hand, open filter and run your fingers through the sand.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.