Aug 1, 2013
First, here are the numbers
FC 13
Ph 7.6
Ta 125
Cc .4
Cya 65
Ch 70
I've just moved in a new house with a pool, it's plaster,16500 gallons, tablet feeder that has been fed with tri clor tabs for years, the cya was over 100 and I couldn't clear up the water so I drained roughly 5700 gallons and refilled, got it down to 65, have removed all the tablets and shocked to roughly 25 ppm with 8.25 bleach, now the numbers are as I posted above, the fc is easing back down, and instead of green, the water is just very cloudy, and has been for a day or two,I just can't get it clear, pump is running 24, hours Day...thanks for any ideas...

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I would keep going through the The SLAM Process for the following reasons:
  • 1. If your CC of 0.4 ppm was determined with the FAS-DPD test using the higher precision 25 ml sample of pool water which tests FC to a 0.2 ppm precision , then a CC of 0.4 indicates there is still some (albeit low) level of organic contamination. In other words, after adding the R-0003 reagent, if it took 2 or more drops of R-0871 to turn the sample clear, that is indicative of some organic contamination remaining in the pool.
    2. Try running an Overnight FC Loss Test

Even after passing all criteria for the SLAM Process, it still may take several days for the water to clear. Continue running your pump/filter 24/7 and you should see gradual improvement. Be sure to clean/backwash as needed.

Thanks, I'll give it a couple days, my next step was pulling the top off the filter and checking the sand,I don't believe it has been changed since 2004, when the pump was put in New after hurricane Ivan, but the water was somewhat clear when I moved in first of June, and it has rained a LOT last couple weeks, it seemed to get really bad after I vacuumed the pool a couple weeks ago

tidefanjam said:
...my next step was pulling the top off the filter and checking the sand,I don't believe it has been changed since 2004...
With very rare exceptions, the sand never needs changing based on an arbitrary timetable. It should last the life of the filter. However, it might need a good cleaning which can be done with this procedure:

• 1. Make sure pump is off and will not come on until you have finished all of the following steps.
    2. Unscrew the filter cap at the top of the filter housing (usually this is black with 2-4 spokes on it that allow you to better grip the cap for removal and re-attachment)
    3. Place a garden hose inside the filter and turn the water on until a gentle flow is coming from the hose.
    4. Let the water overflow out of the top of the filter. You will likely see a fair amount of gunk. Gently agitate the sand a bit. Continue until water runs clear.
    5. Replace filter cap.

Then run pump and check for leaks.

Sand doesn't generally go bad or need changed, and with a sand filter it usually takes a little while to clear the water after SLAMing. You can add DE to it to help speed things along if you want.

Please consult the SLAM process. If your water is cloudy you are not done. I know it seems like a long time to keep your FC levels elevated but this is to assure that everything that can cause you problems is out of the water before you let up. Many a cleared pool have reverted right back within a week because the owner didn't pass all 3 criteria.

You are most likely over the hump but you need to keep the FC level up around 25, don't ease up until you are done and you will have a clear pool that will make it all worth it!

Use the pool calculator and add about 3/4 of what it tells you to get to 250. You need to get your CH up since you have a plaster pool, but you don't want to overshoot it. After you are done SLAMing you can retest and get it up within the 250-350 range.

Well,water is crystal clear this morning finally,thanks for the help,test read 0 c.c. this morning also.My question is, ph is reading 8, should i wait till the f.c. is back down to more normal #'s and retest ph before adding some acid to bring it down?

Retest everything after your FC drops below 10. Then you can adjust your pH and anything else that needs done. Glad to hear the water is cleared, did you do an OCLT to make sure everything was cleared out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.