Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Introduction

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Introduction

Hi all! I just joined the site after reading for countless hours. I am about to start the BBB method so I figured I better join because I know I will have questions! As of today, my readings are as follows:

FC - 0
    PH - 7.O
    TA - 100
    CYA - 0
    CH - 300

Awful isn't it?? Hopefully within a week or so with this method, I will have this pool cleaned up! Thanks again for all of the great information so far.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Introduction

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing you need to do is get some chlorine and CYA (a.k.a., stabilizer) in your pool. Recommend using plain unscented liquid bleach as your chlorine source. CYA is usually marketed as Stabilizer. Look for an active ingredient of 100% cyanuric acid. Use the Pool Calculator to help determine the proper dosage amounts. You want to aim for an initial FC of between 4-5 ppm and a CYA of 30 ppm.

The chlorine/CYA relationship is the first item you want to get a handle on. Suggest reading these articles to start: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, and Chlorine CYA Chart

A couple of things to help us help you...
    • 1. Please add to your profile the state and nearest city in which you live. Donít need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
      2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
    Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

If you don't already have one, you will need a good test kit to properly manage your pool. Here is a comparison of the recommended Test Kits.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome. You should bump that PH up to 7.2 or 3 as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I finally got my TF100 test kits. Here are the results

CYA - 90
    CH - 500
    TA - 120
    FC - 4
    CC - 1
    TC - 3
    PH - 7.2

From what I have read I am screwed when it comes to my high CYA & CH levels. The pool is clear, just a little bit of algae growth on the walls, nothing major. What do you guys think?
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking you need to SLAM with visible algae and the CC of 1. Your FC is way low for your CYA level. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you see algae, you need to SLAM it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I forgot to mention that part, I have begun the slam process. FC is currently 37. And has been holding there for 2 hours now. I will test again before bed. I just saw that we are expecting rain over night, hopefully that wont screw up my slam to badly!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok now we're getting some more info. You should be ok with some rain. Just remember the longer you keep it at shock level the faster the process goes. Test as often as you can,or every hour if you can.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Are we talking all through the night? Even if my FC is still holding at 37 on my next test?

10. Back To Top    #10

Set your alarm to get up every 2 hours ... jk. Just do the best you can, right before bed and when you get up in the morning.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well when I woke up my FC was down to 17.5. I went ahead and raised it back up to 37 again. We are forcasted to have rain for several days... I guess I will just continue to keep it up for another day or so and keep brushing and hope for the best? I cant do the OCLT test with the FC levels this high can I?

12. Back To Top    #12

Most people prefer to do the OCLT at shock level.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

13. Back To Top    #13

I did not know that John. Thanks for the reply!

14. Back To Top    #14

You don't need to any OCLT testing until you get to a point where you are not losing more than about 4 FC during daylight, given your 90cYA. OCLT is looking for a end stage and you still have some work to do.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

techguy - from your experience how many more days of this do you think I have?

16. Back To Top    #16

It takes as long as it takes ... could be a few days or weeks ... depends on what is in the water. Since you water sounds pretty clear with algae on the walls, it should be on the shorter end of that spectrum ... depending on how well you maintain shock level and if you are adequately brushing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Like Jason said, it varies. It depends on you variety of algae, your environment, your water, you filter, and your chlorine.

I and a technical nerd by nature. I used to work on the HelpDesk and what you have asked is akin to "How long will it take to fix my computer?" My HelpDesk answer was always somewhere between 10 minutes and 10 hours. I will let you know when I am done."

I really depends on how fast you kill the algae and your filter can remove the debris (dead algae, etc) from your water. With a dedicated effort, you could be clear and balanced by this weekend but sand filters can be slower. When you get to a point where you are not losing much FC, you can try adding DE but this should not be done until you are holding your FC.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

To many variations to consider!! Well I will just keep after it and hope for the best. I have had to raise FC back up twice today and have already brushed the entire pool twice today (that is an *** kicking). Thanks for all the help fella's!

19. Back To Top    #19

You may want to consider lowering your cya by doing partial drain/refill. Fighting algae at that high cya can be difficult.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

20. Back To Top    #20

Even if I am going to switch over to salt or does it matter? I really hate to drain and refill this late in the year. Also, sorry about my *** kicking comment. I didn't realize this forum was so sensitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast