Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Newbie

We just bought a house with a pool and did a water test and the FC and CYA were low (FC .5 and CYA 30). I added two chlorine tablets, one to each of the empty chlorinators, (I believe they had just run out). I also added one more tablet to one of the skimmer baskets per recommendation from local pool supply store. The sellers were having the pool maintained but I don't know exactly when they stopped servicing it before we closed on the home.

The pool does have some Algae along the steps (green and darker) and some on the tiles and in a crack along the pool sides. My question is: as long as we get the chemical levels to normal ranges, is the pool safe to swim in even if some algae is still present along steps/sides? If so, I plan on shocking the pool after our first swim. If not, I'll just plan on shocking it first and waiting before we swim. Lady at pool supply store said it should be fine within a few hours as long as the levels are normal when the water is retested, but I'd rather get some TFP opinions.

This is an old, in ground gunite that is original to the house (house was built in 1964). Eventually, we plan on fixing the cracks, replastering, adding a second drain, and redoing the tile, coping and decking which are all in need of some TLC, but our kids (7, 5, 2 and 9 months) are anxious to swim it, but I just want to make sure it's safe before doing so.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Newbie

Shocking is not going to get rid of the algae. You need to get the recommended test kit and SLAM the pool to get rid of the algae. Links to both are in my signature. Also, take the tablet out of the skimmer. When you shut the pump off, the water becomes very acidic and when you turn the pump back on, it gets a shot of acid, which is not good for it. Where did you get the test numbers from? If the pool has constantly been chlorinated with the pucks, I have doubts about the CYA.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !

Get yourself one of the recommended test kits. It's a must have. It will make your life alot easier.

Spend sometime in pool school. Read the SLAM process and everything else.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

@JohnN,

Thanks so much for your quick reply (trying to swim tonight if possible). I initially tested with some test strips but then took a water sample to Leslie's. Don't have any test kit or chemicals of my own just yet as we just closed on the house and got the keys yesterday. Here are results from Leslie's test:

Free Available Chlorine: .5
    Total Available Chlorine: .5
    Calcium Hardness: 250
    Cyanuric Acid: 30
    pH: 7.8
    Phosphates: 0

I will remove the tablet from the skimmer basket per your recommendation and will follow the SLAM process you noted to get rid of the Algae. I'm planning on getting the Taylor K-2006 test kit, but haven't yet.

Given the numbers above and the fact that I added two tablets to the chlorinators about 2 hours ago, do you think it's safe to swim in about an hour and a half, or should I just wait until I've SLAMmed the pool?

Thanks again in advance!

Adam

5. Back To Top    #5

The thing is. Anything we suggest with out valid test numbers before and after dosing the pool will be pure guessing and speculation unfortunately. We cant stress enough the value of a good test kit. If you need to test immediately i recommend buying a oto ph/cl test while you wait for the big kit to arrive
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

6. Back To Top    #6

@FamilyGuy,

Thanks for the info. Just picked up the Leslie-branded version of the Taylor K-2006 test kit just before they closed and will test it again.

Assuming the numbers are within acceptable range, would you say the water is safe to swim in even if algae is still present?

If not, I'll wait until I've completed the SLAM process and retested.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

7. Back To Top    #7

I would wait till the slam is done IMO.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would also but realistically if you can see the bottom of the pool your ph is good and your chlorine levels are within range or below slam lvls for your cya then yes
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Jeff and FamilyGuy.

Yes, I can definitely see the bottom of the pool. It looks very clear. Just a bit nervous with the kids and all since we're pool newbies.

Thanks again!

Adam

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, here's the update...

Did the test with the Taylor K-2006 test kit and here are the numbers:

FC = 0.8
    CC = 0.2
    CYA = 30
    pH = 7.8

So, it looks like I need to follow SLAM process to get FC up into the 2-4 range.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for the help!

Adam

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you still see algae ? You need to get your FC up to the proper range for your CYA. What does your water look like ?

PH is also at the top of the range.

Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

There is still some algae along some tiles at the water line and in a crack on one wall and a few spots in the corners of the steps. Planning on adding bleach tonight to raise FC. What is the best product to use to lower pH to 7.2-7.5 range?

The water is very clear. You can easily see the bottom everywhere. It doesn't look cloudy at all.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you still see algae, you need to follow SLAM.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would brush the algae. Do a OCLT test pool-school/overnight_fc_test to confirm if there is something consuming your chlorine.

Lower PH with acid.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

@JohnN,

Planning on following SLAM process starting today to get rid of it.

Thanks again!

Adam