SLAM or drain?

G

I have been getting a lot of advice on what to do with my algae problem. I have spent hundreds of dollars the past few weeks battling this problem. They (the all-mighty pool store experts) have said my pool is so unstable it may be easier to drain and refill my 6000 gal pool. It was only $30 to fill and if its going to cost more than that to restabalize my pool I would rather just get it over with considering it is 8000 degrees outside and the kids are pestering me to swim! I oredered a k-2006 test kit but it won't be here for 5-7 days and the thought of being a sitting duck for that long irritates me! What do u think? I know I was told patience is key but try telling that to kids when its 100 degrees outside!

I personally would just drain and refill. It would probably cost $30 just in bleach to clear up the pool. Do you have any type of test kit right now? If you do, we could tell you what to add until your good kit comes.

If you feel that would be in everybody's best interest go for it. I'll back ya. I understand your problem. I thought about suggesting that awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I have a basic test kit for ph and chlorine. I have been keeping it above the 5 ppm that my kit tests up to. The lovely pool store, after selling me numerous "remedies" tells me today I have no cya in the pool, I'm sure they are wrong as I have used pucks to chlorinate. So if I drain and refill, where do I go from there?

Drain and refill can be a viable way to manage a pool. That said, you will still face the same issues as in your other thread once you refill, so you will have to drain again.

I'm not saying that's a bad approach but I am saying that by the time the refill water is warm enough to swim, it will likely be headed towards green again.

When your test kit comes you'll need

1 stabilizer to get CYA to the 30-50 ppm range
2 borax to adjust PH up.
3 acid to lower PH if need be
4 bleach to keep FC in proper range for your CYA level
5 baking soda for TA if need be

I have MA, stabalizer, bakingg soda and 3 gallons of bleach. So, is this viable to drain and refill to make it usable and sanitized until kit arrives? I will be switching over to the BBB method so hopefully I won't be dealing with green anymore. In aware that there is always a threat of an algae outbreak, I'm not saying I want to drain it EVERYTIME it needs to be cleaned. *rolls eyes* I'm. not ignorant just new to pools. I want to know if it will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

If you want to swim this weekend, do a drain and fill. I have been following along but didn't know you were completely fed up. With a pool as "small" as you have, the drain and fill is a fast way, assuming you have clean, cheap fill water.

When you get full, your new kit will help you keep it clear.

kellyluvsjns said:
I have MA, stabalizer, bakingg soda and 3 gallons of bleach. So, is this viable to drain and refill to make it usable and sanitized until kit arrives? I will be switching over to the BBB method so hopefully I won't be dealing with green anymore. In aware that there is always a threat of an algae outbreak, I'm not saying I want to drain it EVERYTIME it needs to be cleaned. *rolls eyes* I'm. not ignorant just new to pools. I want to know if it will be easier and cheaper in the long run.
Stop posting and order a test kit. You'll probably have it by the time the pool is refilled, since it's only coming from North Carolina.

Drain it and start over. Leave some water in the pool so your liner doesn't wrinkle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your going to drain and refill WAIT till the test kit comes so you can get everything balanced right from the start.

Kelly my motto is work smarter not harder ! Smarter would be waiting for the kit to come. Harder would be not waiting.

Ok. That answered my question.thank you for your kindness pwrstrk. That's all I needed and not a lot of sarcasm.. I already ordered the kit yesterday which those people who have been nice and assisted me through this already know richard, and rudeness from a few paticular people is what's making me fed up techguy, the way some of these people respond can put a already stressed person in tears, which congrats, a few of you have done. They are making a great website look bad.

pwrstrk said:
Chillax and everything will be fine. When the kit comes get back to us and we'll assist you. This is a good place !!

Agree with everything except the use of chillax. I can never agree with the use of that word :p

I've read both threads and from the difference that I see in the photos I'd say you're well on the way to getting your pool back in great shape, but IMO you're going to have to take a good healthy extra-strength dose of patience. I know that can be very hard at times, especially when you've got others "pushing" you to get it done NOW! :) What you have to keep in mind though is that your pool didn't get in bad shape overnight and its not going to get back to sparkling clear overnight either. Just ain't gunna happen, no matter what you do. Short of a complete drain and start over of course, and even if you were to do that you then run a risk of creating other problems that may take longer to fix than staying the course you're on. Even if that does go smoothly you've still got to spend the time required to get everything balanced properly after a fresh fill. I can totally relate to your impatience and hope for a "miracle cure" but there just isn't such a thing. If there was somebody would be filthy rich overnight.

I would humbly submit to you that your best course of action at this point is to accept that you're in this for the long haul, take a deep breath and try to stop stressing over what you can't immediately change, and hope for a quick delivery of your test kit. Then, instead of guessing, hoping, trying this or that out of a false sense of panic or desperation, you'll KNOW where things stand and you'll also know exactly what to do about it. Victory will be all the sweeter for you when you've truly earned it. :goodjob:

I thought this would be a good place to ask my question which seems to be the same, just curious to see what people would say.

I will put all readings below. But I have CYA at 70ppm (I've learned my lesson on Triclor tabs). So my choices are
A) SLAM up to 28 which by using the calculator is 504 Oz of 12.5% (4 gallons @ my pool store is about $20-$25) and deal with my high CYA till end of summer when I will drain a lot for winter. And should really have the pool going then
B) Drain the pool, by the calculator to get CYA to 40ppm its a 43% drain. I could vacuum while I do it (positive), but need a day to drain, a day to refill, need to go get DE, need to shock based on readings so this could be time consuming:

Readings:
FC 5
PH 7.6
TA 80 (will add baking soda if I don't drain)
CH 200
CYA 70

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.