First TF-100 test results, help with next steps

JSCarr

Jul 18, 2013
I got my TF-100 test kit in the mail today and went to town. I'm pretty sure I know what my next steps are supposed to be, but I figured I'd post here to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

FC .5
CC .5
pH low... 6.8? Whatever the lowest color is on the test tube. It might even have been lighter than that.
TA 60
CYA 45 (right between 40 and 50 graduated lines)
Calcium 170 (which I gather is fine with my vinyl pool)

Ok, so what I want to do is:

1) Add 12lbs baking soda (per the Pool Calculator) to raise TA to 100.
2) After step 1 how long do I wait before testing pH?
3) Adjust pH as needed using Borax or soda ash
4) SLAM the pool. I only say this because swimming last night I felt a small-ish slippery area on one of the side walls, and I'd like to make absolutely sure that is destroyed before it can turn into anything.

...am I on the right track? The guy that opened our pool used shock, but I'll be using bleach as the CYA level seems pretty decent and I want to leave it there, right?

spot on. 30 min between chemicals is usually safe ... I give it an hour with anything that is in powder form (and make sure to brush well after adding it).

Crystal clear blue!

I didn't mention this but the pool was just opened last week. Through the shock process from the pool guy the green swamp turned into a gorgeous sparkly blue and has stayed that way, but I still felt that slippery spot on the wall.

woodyp said:
Get your FC in range for your CYA level at the high end to start first. Then brush it. You may avoid SLAMming it just because you have a slick spot.

Oh that's good news. I'll try this, and the overnight test that pwrstrk posted. If I fail that I'll know something is up.

Thanks for the advice, glad to know I'm not completely off base! I might get the hang of this pool thing after all :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.