Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya test

1. Back To Top    #1

cya test

hello everyone. ok, i have the tf 100 test kit, when i test my cya i hold the tube waist level and i fill till i can't see the black dot, i look at the level of the water and get my reading. i hold it back down to my waist and i can see the black dot again, so i fill it some more till it disappears again and check the reading, when i put it back waist level, i see the dot again, its less visible then the first time, then i add more. by the third time the dot disappears for good. my question is what's my reading the first one or when the dot is gone for good?
    7000 Gal vinyl Intex 18 ft x 52" Ultra Frame™ Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump & SWG System, BBB
    Then we added: 3 Belgian Malinois, 2 German Shedders, 1 English Russell, plus 2 adults acting like children. (without the p)
    Future Pool: Splash (Dog) Super Pool 21' x 41.5', 27,900 Gal and 40 ft dock jumping ramp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cya test

I just keep it at waist level until the dot is gone and take that reading. I don't bring it back up and do it again.

Is your back to the sun ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, i'm in the shade .
    7000 Gal vinyl Intex 18 ft x 52" Ultra Frame™ Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump & SWG System, BBB
    Then we added: 3 Belgian Malinois, 2 German Shedders, 1 English Russell, plus 2 adults acting like children. (without the p)
    Future Pool: Splash (Dog) Super Pool 21' x 41.5', 27,900 Gal and 40 ft dock jumping ramp.

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't want to be in the shade. Use your body to make the shade from the sun.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

As you fill the tube, be careful not to make bubbles. They will obscure the black dot at first and then as they clear you will see the dot again. Maybe that is what is happening.

It definitely takes practice. The first few times you might want to fill the tube and take your reading, and then pour the water back into the mixing vial and take another reading to see if they agree. With practice will come consistency.
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

6. Back To Top    #6

maybe i need to fill the tube a bit slower? whats the difference with being in the shade or creating one with your body?

7. Back To Top    #7

That's the recommended way to do the test. In full sun with your back to the sun. It's for proper lighting.

Yea pour it in slowly.

Jeff