Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to figure out new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Lancaster, PA

Trying to figure out new pool

This is my first year as a pool owner. I'm getting some help in another post with the SLAM process. I have a few other questions I was hoping I might get some advice on.

I've noticed a difference in suction between my skimmers. The 2 skimmer lines meet at a 3-way valve and I can isolate each. When I isolate the far skimmer (from the pump) it pulls water in rapidly and has very strong suction. When I do the same for the near skimmer the suction is good, but water isn't pulled in at the same speed. I will say that I have vacuumed with the near skimmer isolated and that works fine. Maybe it isn't a big deal, but it just seems odd that the far skimmer has stronger suction. Any thoughts?

I have a Clear Vision Natural Water Filter about the same size as my Hayward chlorinator. There is a cartridge in it now, but I'm assuming it is past it's lifespan. Can I just remove it and not bother replacing it? The cartridges cost about $90 and this extra filter doesn't even seem necessary.

Also, I've noticed that when my pump restarts it puts out cloudy water from the returns. Any idea what is causing this and if it is something I should be concerned about? It clears up after a short time.

20'x40', 32k gallon IG pool, Plaster, Purex Triton DE filter
    TF-100 test kit
    SE Pennsylvania, Built ~ 2001 (by previous owner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to figure out new pool

The Far skimmer has stronger suction? I'd expect the near skimmer to have stronger suction - because friction loss is greater with longer tubing. Interesting

My guess is that is DE coming out of your filter - maybe someone smarter than me can tell you if this means you have a broken screen. Does it do it all the time or only after you backwash?
    30,000 Gallons, DE filter, IG, Plaster, 2 HP centurion for filter and same for waterfall, 20+ years old, Polaris 360, hot tub attached

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Trying to figure out new pool

Does your near skimmer have a flying saucer looking thing in the bottom? If so, that's a flow balancer and would explain why it draws less when isolated.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School