Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: changing font type or size

1. Back To Top    #1

changing font type or size

i haven't found a way to change the font of the message boards yet. the topics are a bit blocky and appear to run together on my screen. am i missing something obvious?

thanks!

greg
    21' Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, Hayward EC40 DE filter, GE 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: changing font type or size

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblu
    i haven't found a way to change the font of the message boards yet. the topics are a bit blocky and appear to run together on my screen. am i missing something obvious?

thanks!

greg
    Same question here, I'm using 1280 * 1024 resolution under Windows 2000 and this is what I get:

Difficult to read the headlines. Thanks,

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmm, it doesn't look that way on my end. I've checked in IE and Firefox.

I'm using 1280x800 resolution. Could you try that resolution and report back?

Thanks,
    Sean
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same problem on 2/3 machines I have tried. 1280x1024 LCD and my laptop. It looks better on the Linux box at 1280x1024 but on a 19" CRT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Changing the resolution did not change much, just stretched and skewed the same text.

Increasing the font size +1 in Firefox does produce a better looking font, but it's like blind man size now. Not sure I can take it.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I may know what the problem is..

Same question here, I'm using 1280 * 1024 resolution under Windows 2000 and this is what I get:
    The font that this site uses, think it might be trebuchet ms, may not be standard on Windows 2000. I'm sure there are sites where you obtain the font.

That's my best guess. The fact that it looks right for me and serveral others users with different displays seems to indicate it's on your end.

HTH
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

It's smallish here on the Mac running FF. Mac users have the ability to increase font display size using the key combination CMD +, which makes it easy to configure individual sites.

My very limited understanding of ms type fonts is that they use a built-in scaling agent which communicates with the display engine of either the browser or the OS. When I open TFP with Safari I get a slightly larger, crisper display than in FireFox, requiring no font size adjustment.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've learned to live with the new font, but today it started to bug me again. I downloaded a FF plug-in that displayed the font for the selected text. The font came up as Lucida Grande. After looking around this seems to be a Mac font that many PC users have problems with. I also saw a note that installing Safari will install the font on my PC. I took a stab at it and while it does display nice in Safai, in FF is still is blotchy and mushed together.

Here is a sample, left is Safari and right is FF.
    Gary

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    The font came up as Lucida Grande.
    Yay! That did it for me! I downloaded and installed Lucida Grande, all is well, my eyesight has improved tremendously!

Many many thanks for this!

Paul