May 14, 2013
Hi guys,

So I have been having an absolutely fabulous first summer with my pool thanks to TFP. Perfect crystal clear smooth water all season. Very easy maintenance. Now I am getting to a point where I want to be sure I am doing things right.

My water in drifting up in PH and TA.
CYA: 30
FC: 4
CC: 0
Ph: 7.8
TA: 150
CH: 270
Temp about 78 degrees

So slowly my pool has gone from TA of 90 to 150 and PH of 7.2 to 7.8 since I opened in in late May.

So I know I can add dry or muriatic acid to lower the PH, but how much do I need to worry about the TA. I know I can aerate once PH is low 7.0-7.2, but should I lower my PH that far? I want to minimize time that I can't swim if possible.

My plan is to go ahead and add acid, but I am just not sure how far to lower my PH.

Advice?

Sure go ahead and lower PH with acid. TA will come down also. If PH is still raising to fast repeat. When you get to a point where the PH stays pretty steady your TA will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It took 2 months for the pH to rise? I think many members would love to have the drift that slow. Lower the pH to 7.2 and just keep it in range. The TA will slowly drop as you lower the pH and you can swim within an hour of adding the acid.

You only need to aerate if you are trying to lower the TA more quickly.

Well it looks like you have a good understanding of the process of lowering your TA. I would not have a problem going down to 7.0 because I know what my fountain does and the time frame. All fountains are different so the Ph rise is different. Also check your fill water. That's the source of your rise. If you know ahead of time the fill you can work with it. Looks like your still in the happy area for your pool even with a higher TA. You really did not say you bounce around but just a rise, am I correct. If so it might just be a process you will have to do every few months because of your fill water. Good luck :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.