Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA

1. Back To Top    #1

TA

Hi guys,

So I have been having an absolutely fabulous first summer with my pool thanks to TFP. Perfect crystal clear smooth water all season. Very easy maintenance. Now I am getting to a point where I want to be sure I am doing things right.

My water in drifting up in PH and TA.
    CYA: 30
    FC: 4
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.8
    TA: 150
    CH: 270
    Temp about 78 degrees

So slowly my pool has gone from TA of 90 to 150 and PH of 7.2 to 7.8 since I opened in in late May.

So I know I can add dry or muriatic acid to lower the PH, but how much do I need to worry about the TA. I know I can aerate once PH is low 7.0-7.2, but should I lower my PH that far? I want to minimize time that I can't swim if possible.

My plan is to go ahead and add acid, but I am just not sure how far to lower my PH.

Advice?
    32000 Gallon 18'X40' Rectangular Gunite pool. Pentair 60sqft DE filter. Electric heat pump. Aquamatic Pool Cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA

Sure go ahead and lower PH with acid. TA will come down also. If PH is still raising to fast repeat. When you get to a point where the PH stays pretty steady your TA will be good.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks,
    So should I lower to 7.5 or go even lower?
    32000 Gallon 18'X40' Rectangular Gunite pool. Pentair 60sqft DE filter. Electric heat pump. Aquamatic Pool Cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

It took 2 months for the pH to rise? I think many members would love to have the drift that slow. Lower the pH to 7.2 and just keep it in range. The TA will slowly drop as you lower the pH and you can swim within an hour of adding the acid.

You only need to aerate if you are trying to lower the TA more quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well it looks like you have a good understanding of the process of lowering your TA. I would not have a problem going down to 7.0 because I know what my fountain does and the time frame. All fountains are different so the Ph rise is different. Also check your fill water. That's the source of your rise. If you know ahead of time the fill you can work with it. Looks like your still in the happy area for your pool even with a higher TA. You really did not say you bounce around but just a rise, am I correct. If so it might just be a process you will have to do every few months because of your fill water. Good luck
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"