Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is different about glass tile installation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Louis, MO

What is different about glass tile installation?

We have picked out a killer 1" mosaic glass tile for our waterline. I have heard that there is something different about glass tile installation, and that if not done properly, it can be a disaster. My PB has not left me filled with confidence, so I am all over TFP to educate myself. I feel like I have to watch every step of the build like a hawk...
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: What is different about glass tile installation? is a great tile forum. Few professional tile installers here so they might give you a better explanation than we could guess at.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, Tx

Re: What is different about glass tile installation?

Glass tile manufacturers will spec a type of mortar to be used with their tile. This recommendation (requirement?) needs to be followed as glass behaves (expands/contracts) differently than porcelain. Cutting glass tile is different, too. Glass tile is expensive, you really need a tile man versed in glass tile to get a top notch job. The mechanics of setting it are the same, but the materials and methods differ enough that you can get the disasters youíve heard about if they donít know how to handle the differences.
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013