Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OCLT and testing consistency

1. Back To Top    #1

OCLT and testing consistency

I have been lurking for a while now, and I have been on BBB for a couple of months now. This site is an awesome resource, and the people are great! Thanks so much!

After getting a lot of rain the past few weeks, I became concerned after seeing what appeared to be the beginnings of algae growth, in spite of never allowing FC to drop below 5. It looked like grey dust on the bottom that would disappear when brushing. It also felt neither slimy or gritty, so I decided to go ahead and SLAM and have done so for the last four days. After the first day of SLAMing, no more sign of "algae", and I have continued to maintain shock level until last night. Filter has been running 24 hours/day. The pool has been looking crystal clear through the entire SLAM process and continues to look great.

My test results this morning:
    FC 16
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 280
    CYA 50-60 (I'm assuming 60)
    Borates 40-50

Also, I lowered PH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM process

Now for my real question. Last night my FC was 14 (CC 0), and I did not add any chlorine to the pool, yet it read 16 this morning. Any ideas why FC would read 2 ppm higher? I have tried to be careful with my testing, always taking the sample about a foot deep in front of the skimmer. I am also trying to be careful with the drops to make sure I don't go too fast or too slow (no more than about 1 or 2 per second). One other important fact is that I installed a HASA Liquidator a couple of weeks ago, but I have had it shut off during this entire SLAM process (the flow indicator is at zero and I see no water movement in the 3/8" tubes).

Thanks,

Dennis
    15.5K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward 1/2 HP, AquaView 3.14 sq ft sand filter (above ground pool installed in ground, so no main drain), TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, BBB, Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OCLT and testing consistency

It's most likely some sort of testing error. Either you didn't wait quite long enough after the last chlorine addition last night or you stopped a drop or two short last night and ran a drop or two over this morning. The lighting was different, etc..

I'd run it again tonight and see what happens.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The most likely possibility is you are doing the evening FC test too soon after your last dose. You should give the chlorine about 30-60 minutes to circulate before testing.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't dosed since yesterday morning, so it's likely a testing error. I will try again tonight.
    15.5K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward 1/2 HP, AquaView 3.14 sq ft sand filter (above ground pool installed in ground, so no main drain), TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, BBB, Liquidator.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you whipped the algae...beat it into submission..........and it just "threw up" the extra FC in admitting defeat! At least I hope so.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I think you whipped the algae...beat it into submission..........and it just "threw up" the extra FC in admitting defeat! At least I hope so.
    I hope that truly is the case, but I will try again to be sure.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

dspille,

Make sure you are taking the test to it's completion....adding one last drop that does not make ANY further color change and then subtracting that drop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    dspille,

Make sure you are taking the test to it's completion....adding one last drop that does not make ANY further color change and then subtracting that drop.
    I had not been doing that, but I certainly will from now on. Thanks to you all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    dspille,

Dave,

Does adding that one last drop impact the combined chlorine test in any way? i.e. will that extra drop prevent the test from turning pink and throw off your CC drop count?

Dennis