Hello. I am new to the forum so thanks for any help. I just got my first pool last week. It's an easy set 18' x 48". Following is the order of how I did things. Before jumping directly to iron, please read entire post. I also have overhanging oak trees which I think could also be to blame.
NOTE: Water is 100% clear, just tinted rusty brown
NOTE: Overhanging oak trees put dark brown markings/stains on the cover (could these marking coming from tannins/pollens/etc. be tinting my pool that badly?)
* Filled pool from well Tuesday thru Friday
* I knew I had iron, so I put metal free into the water Friday evening. 25% more than it called for.
* Chlorine/Shock granules Saturday evening
* Sunday water was clear brown and got worse when I swam in it
* Had water tested. Pool store said everything was in range. There were NO metals on their test.
* Put clarifier in water Wednesday evening
* Upon research online, I made a filter with packed pillow stuffing to see if it would catch some iron. Ran that for 12 hours Wednesday evening until this morning. Pillow stuffing was slightly rusty brown but nothing extreme at all, especially for running the pump for 12 hours continuously. Filters not clogged at all. Water looks the same.
Did I not wait long enough for the metal free to do its job? The water test showed no iron after the metal free and chlorine/shock. Are the overhanging oak trees releasing tannins or pollens into the water causing the discoloration? What do you think?