Test, Test, Test

rmozer

Oct 13, 2012
Remsenburg/Speonk, NY
How can I tell the difference between green and mustard algae?
I have been battling a murky, green pool for the last week.
I know the pH is a little low, and I will adjust this morning.

Here's my latest chemistry as of 8:00 this am:
pH = 7.8
FC = 27 ppm
CC = .5 ppm
TC = 27.5 ppm
CYA = 60
Alk = 130 ppm

Pool characteristics:
20,000 gal
sand filter
IG, vinyl
20 gpm/ft2; 2.2 ft2 of filtration area

Bob Mozer
Remsenburg (LI), NY

pH looks a little high to me, not low. :scratch:

Have you been follwoing the SLAM instructions correctly?
How often do you test and adjust the FC?
How long have you been actually SLAMing the pool? It can easily take more than a week to pass the OCLT.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Can you post a pic? That would help us determine which type of algae you have. Generally, mustard algae is a yellowish color and common algae is green.

Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different. Here's how to do it: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

I just edited my profile as you suggested.
I am also adding a link to a picture of my pool as of just now.
I hope you can help me. I ran into this problem last summer as well, and I was off to a good start this year. We've had a run of hot, humid weather here on LI. I was just starting to see some improvement last week, but then I went away for the weekend and I came home to this mess.
Thanks.
Bob

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Sb1zi ... sp=sharing

Looks like common green algae. Follow SLAM, and you should see the color become a little duller/grayer each day, then the green will gradually turn to blue. The trick is to stay on top of it, and keep the FC as close to your target of 24 as you can throughout the day. If the FC drops, the algae grows again, so you'll need to make sure you have time to dedicate to keep it up. Over time, the FC won't drop quite as fast any more, but this could take a few days.

SLAM: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

OK. I understand what to do.
Unfortunately, I just ran out of the indicator chemical to test for FC. I ordered more, but now I have no way of testing until it arrives next week. Is this a chemical I can purchase locally at a pool store?
As for the chemistry of my pool, when I checked it yesterday, the FC was >45 ppm as I had added about 1 gallon the night before to try to stay ahead of the algae. If I can't find the indicator chem for FC, should I add some liquid bleach each day just to stay ahead of the algae until I see some changes?
Thanks.
Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rmozer:

Thanks for resetting the permissions...I was able to see the pic. Looks like green algae to me.

Keep adding bleach to maintain SLAM levels. Based on your recent additions and chlorine consumption, you should have some idea of the amount of bleach it will take to maintain this level. It's about the best you can do until your reagent refills arrive.

Thanks for your help.
I will post my chem results later today.
If adding 1 gallon liquid bleach gets me to about 45 ppm FC, will this cause damage to my vinyl pool liner?
I don't want to lose my battle with the algae, but also don't want to cause damage to the pool.
Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.