Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test, Test, Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Test, Test, Test

How can I tell the difference between green and mustard algae?
    I have been battling a murky, green pool for the last week.
    I know the pH is a little low, and I will adjust this morning.

Here's my latest chemistry as of 8:00 this am:
    pH = 7.8
    FC = 27 ppm
    CC = .5 ppm
    TC = 27.5 ppm
    CYA = 60
    Alk = 130 ppm

Pool characteristics:
    20,000 gal
    sand filter
    IG, vinyl
    20 gpm/ft2; 2.2 ft2 of filtration area

Bob Mozer
    Remsenburg (LI), NY
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl
    2 hp Variable speed pump; 20 gpm/ft2 filtration rate; 62 gpm design flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test, Test, Test

pH looks a little high to me, not low.

Have you been follwoing the SLAM instructions correctly?
    How often do you test and adjust the FC?
    How long have you been actually SLAMing the pool? It can easily take more than a week to pass the OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post a pic? That would help us determine which type of algae you have. Generally, mustard algae is a yellowish color and common algae is green.

Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different. Here's how to do it: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also remember the pH test tends to read high at FC levels over 10 ppm, our general advice is not to try to adjust pH while at shock levels.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I just edited my profile as you suggested.
    I am also adding a link to a picture of my pool as of just now.
    I hope you can help me. I ran into this problem last summer as well, and I was off to a good start this year. We've had a run of hot, humid weather here on LI. I was just starting to see some improvement last week, but then I went away for the weekend and I came home to this mess.
    Thanks.
    Bob

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Sb1zi ... sp=sharing
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

rmozer:

I tried to look at your pics, but am sent to a login screen for Google Docs. Can you post your pic either directly to this thread or to another site that does not require a login?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

7. Back To Top    #7

sorry, I need to change the settings so you don't need to login.
    try it again in a few minutes.

Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

I just reset the permissions, and here's a new link, just in case it's different than the first one I sent.

Bob

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Sb1zi ... sp=sharing
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like common green algae. Follow SLAM, and you should see the color become a little duller/grayer each day, then the green will gradually turn to blue. The trick is to stay on top of it, and keep the FC as close to your target of 24 as you can throughout the day. If the FC drops, the algae grows again, so you'll need to make sure you have time to dedicate to keep it up. Over time, the FC won't drop quite as fast any more, but this could take a few days.

SLAM: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

10. Back To Top    #10

OK. I understand what to do.
    Unfortunately, I just ran out of the indicator chemical to test for FC. I ordered more, but now I have no way of testing until it arrives next week. Is this a chemical I can purchase locally at a pool store?
    As for the chemistry of my pool, when I checked it yesterday, the FC was >45 ppm as I had added about 1 gallon the night before to try to stay ahead of the algae. If I can't find the indicator chem for FC, should I add some liquid bleach each day just to stay ahead of the algae until I see some changes?
    Thanks.
    Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have one of the recommended test kits ? It's the right tool for this job. Best investment you will make for your pool.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

What test kit are you using now ? Can you post the rests from your last test.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the test kit from TFP, but as I said, I ran out of the FC indicator chemical (R-0871 FAS/DPD). I just ordered more from TFP, but I won't get it until next week. If I could get more of it locally, I'd be back in business.
    Thanks.
    Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

14. Back To Top    #14

No you can't get it locally. Can you post all of your last test results ? You can hold it at bay by adding bleach till your reagent gets there.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

I will test everything I can this morning.
    BTW...can I get MSDS for each of the test kit chemicals? I am a science teacher, and I like to know more about the chemicals I'm working with.
    Thanks.
    Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

16. Back To Top    #16

Check out Taylor's website. I believe they do have the MSDS available for everything in their kits.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

17. Back To Top    #17

I would think so. That would be a good question for Duraleigh Maybe shoot him a pm.

Jeff

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks Jeff.
    Is the R-0871 titrating reagent really not something I can get at a local pool store?
    I already ordered some from TFPs, but until it arrives, I'm driving blind.
    Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

19. Back To Top    #19

rmozer:

Thanks for resetting the permissions...I was able to see the pic. Looks like green algae to me.

Keep adding bleach to maintain SLAM levels. Based on your recent additions and chlorine consumption, you should have some idea of the amount of bleach it will take to maintain this level. It's about the best you can do until your reagent refills arrive.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for your help.
    I will post my chem results later today.
    If adding 1 gallon liquid bleach gets me to about 45 ppm FC, will this cause damage to my vinyl pool liner?
    I don't want to lose my battle with the algae, but also don't want to cause damage to the pool.
    Bob
    22,000 gallons
    new Hayward sand filter
    IG
    vinyl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast