green pool

Jul 7, 2012
Hi. I own an above ground pool, 21x41 and have not been able to get it blue all season. The closest I’ve gotten was a light (seafoam) green. The pool has been treated with shock and the sides and bottom scrubbed down with algaecide. Also, I have tried green to clean to take the green out but have had no luck. Two weeks ago I took a water sample to our local pool store and purchased $300 worth of chemicals based on their analysis, including chlorine tablets with stabilizer & calcium hardness and the water has not gotten any clearer. They also had me get an hth 3 way test kit, which when I tested the ph was reading normal at about 7.2 but the chlorine and bromine was high at 5 & 10. I also backwash the pool daily and have cleaned the filter. I cannot seem to figure out what else I can do to get my pool clear so I can at least have a few weeks to swim before I have to close it for the season. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

So one year later, you post exactly the same thing? The answer is still the same.
1. Order one of the recommended test kits.
2. SLAM the pool. [slam:1qeeasah][/slam:1qeeasah]

I am not going to write more at this point since clearly it fell on deaf ears last year. If you want to learn, read Pool School and ask questions.

My suggestion is the same. Get a good test kit, one of the ones we recommend. Read pool school, the slam process and follow it to the T. Then read the rest of it.

You have a decision to make.
1 stay with the pool store advice.
2 use our methods of pool maintenance.

It's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I too have had the same problem, however after reading a lot of posts here and before that spending a fortune on chemicals, I purchased the TF100 and plan to go the BBB route. Lucky for me that TFTTests is located in North Carolina and being in South Carolina, I will receive my TF100 today after a 2 day wait. Hope to have some test figures soon and start SLAMing.

Following pool store advice WILL (guaranteed!!) give you a screwed up pool, and an empty wallet.

Make your choice. Pool store that keeps your wallet empty, or the experts here that keep you pool beautiful.

Or are you going with the idea that pool ownership has to be expensive, because that's what you were taught as a young person? Self fulfilling prophecy, if you keep going to pool stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.