Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build Texas Hill Country *Updated Pics Coping 8/29 *

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build Texas Hill Country *Updated Pics Coping 8/29 *

Been lurking for a while here and learned ALOT. Just wanted some constructive criticism on my build as I would like to have it as right as possible the first time.

I will be getting a 34x22 (true water length), 554 sqft, 96 perimeter ft, 3'-7' depth, semi free form w/ 38 sqft (water surface) Spa, Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix Indigo Blue Finish. Estimated 22,000 gallons. My coping will be Oklahoma flagstone that I do plan on sealing yearly.

My equipment will be: Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter; Jandy Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump for Polaris 3900; Air Blower for Spa; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LED Lights for pool; 1 Hayward LED light for Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa

If there is something I should change, add, and/or remove your opinion will be much appreciated. I have attached some design photos. There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard as I am in the Texas Hill Country. I may add a wood deck or something later. I don't know, suggestions?

Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *Under Construction* 21K gallon IG Pool/Spa 3'-7', Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix
    -Equipment: Jandy 460sqft Cartridge Filter; Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS E-pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump; Polaris 3900; Air Blower; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LEDs in pool; 1 Hayward LED in Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa ***TF100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir***

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wahoo we're getting a Pool New Build Thoughts and Critiq

Looking good. Is that a bubbler, or a fountain, on the step? We have a couple fountains on ours, and one in the spa. Personally, we like more than one just because then it seems more balanced. We also love our umbrella sleeves.
    --22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit
    --Time Lapse Video of our Pool Build ---- Our Pool Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Great looking pool. You probably only need the 1.5 hp vs pump. For that matter, you could eliminate the boster pump too and go with a Polaris 360. This not only saves money now, it saves major mony in the operation of the pool.
    Frankly, if you plumbed it correctly you could operate the Polaris 3900 off the jandy vs pump.

I also vote for umbrella sleeves, another bubbler and a larger tanning shelf.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It's only my opinion but I would stay away from the Jandy equipment, for example the aquapure system is a little cheaper than the Hayward or Pentair salt water generators, but it only has a 1 yr. limited warranty. It seems to me that the other brands are made to last longer than Jandy.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JimboAZ
    Looking good. Is that a bubbler, or a fountain, on the step? We have a couple fountains on ours, and one in the spa. Personally, we like more than one just because then it seems more balanced. We also love our umbrella sleeves.

It is a bubbler.
    -Equipment: Jandy 460sqft Cartridge Filter; Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS E-pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump; Polaris 3900; Air Blower; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LEDs in pool; 1 Hayward LED in Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa ***TF100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir***

6. Back To Top    #6

Ordered the TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Regarding Jandy vs Pentair vs Hayward, don't be too concerned with brands. Jandy is a Zodiak brand and Zodiak as a company has been around since 1909. Jandy and Pentair if you buy all of their equipment will increase your warranty from 1 to 3 years on the equipment. Not sure about Hayward. But Hayward makes fine equipment as well. Price, and convenience/automation options and preferences should rank higher than branding in my opinion. Sounds like your builder uses Jandy so likely your highest level of support and service would be with Jandy equipment. The one main piece of equipment that seems to rise to the top in service life and dependability is Raypak heaters. Sounds like your set there.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the advise. PB is coming out tomorrow for the lay out.

9. Back To Top    #9

Congrats! Look forward to progress pictures!
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

10. Back To Top    #10

>>>> There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard
    if the slope is significant, a negative/vanishing-edge pool might give you a pretty awesome look.

>>>> Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix Indigo Blue Finish
    May I ask how much the upcharge is for Prism Matrix?
    We are seriously considering it also.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jamgolf
    Originally thought it was $2800 for pool and spa, but PB called today and informed me that his Manager caught a mistake with the finish being Prism it would be another $2800. After a few phone conversations my PB honored that he would not ask for anymore $ unless we changed something and we are getting the Prism finish for $2800 and not $5600.

12. Back To Top    #12

>>>> There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard
    if the slope is significant, a negative/vanishing-edge pool might give you a pretty awesome look.

Thought about it, but all that would do is turn the spill over into a water trough for the deer.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cgd
    Originally thought it was $2800 for pool and spa, but PB called today and informed me that his Manager caught a mistake with the finish being Prism it would be another $2800. After a few phone conversations my PB honored that he would not ask for anymore $ unless we changed something and we are getting the Prism finish for $2800 and not $5600.
    We are being quoted $5600 too. So you are getting a break.
    I would definitely jump on such an opportunity.

14. Back To Top    #14

The $2800 was supposed to be for upgrading to pearl or satin finishes. Some how I ended up with prism and no one caught it until 2 days after I signed the contract. The additional $2800 for the prism is because of the glass pebbles, so I'm told. Haven't even had the layout yet and had a hiccup, but I must say I'm happy with my builder for sticking to his word and eating the additional cost, though I know it's not $2800.

15. Back To Top    #15

Laied out today, dig starts tomorrow morning. A week ahead of original breaking ground estimated date!

16. Back To Top    #16

After lay out today I decided I wanted more decking at the deep end of the pool. Here are the revised 3D images w/ more decking. I originally had 560 sqft of decking. Now I am getting 640 sqft. I should have pics of the dig tomorrow.

17. Back To Top    #17

1) I've seen some freeform pools not look great with lights at night because of shadows caused by curves. I suggest you double-check with builder to confirm lights are in best location.

2) I like the idea of a handrail to get out of pool..... never know who might need it in the future.

3) After getting an in-floor cleaning system in our pool, I wouldn't want a pool without one.
    Built in Summer 2011, 16,875 gal, 14'6" x 34' irregular, 3'6" to 7' depth, gunite/plaster inground (blue quartz)
    Two-tone kook deck, 1 handrail, 7' x 10' beach landing, 2 IntelliBrites LED
    2 skimmers, Paramount Pool Valet floor cleaning system, 3'w x 8'l x 18"h tiled water cascade fountain w/3 geysers, 4 therapy jets
    1.5 hp WhisperFlo pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq ft vertical grid filter, Intermatic timer (T100 series), Performax 960 chlorinator tube

18. Back To Top    #18

Day 1 Dig. They will be back on Monday to finish, but most likely finishing up on Tuesday.

19. Back To Top    #19

Solid Rock.

20. Back To Top    #20

End of Day 1 Dig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast