Added polyquat 60 and bleach at same time...help!

Jul 31, 2013
I have had a problem with algae for weeks now. All I have for a test kit is the hth 6 way. I slammed about 2 weeks ago and thought it was better. My CYA was 65 so it was getting ridiculous. Since the algae returned, I emptied some water tonight to bring my CYA down to 35. I brushed all crevices including the inside of the pump. My chlorine is 0. I decided that since I didn't add any algaecide at the beginning of the season that I would go ahead and use some now since I emptied some of the green water. I goofed and added the polyquat and then followed right behind with the bleach. Is this going to mess up the whole slamming process? I know that it is already a guessing game since I don't have the right kit but I can't spend anymore on the pool this season. We have had more time out of the water than in. I am very frustrated. Please advise me of what I should do, if at all. Thanks you. I love this forum!

Chlorine will slowly break down Polyquat algaecide so you can see an increase in chlorine demand if you use a lot of algaecide, but in the SLAM process this may not be very noticeable since most of the chlorine usage will be from loss by sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.