Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added polyquat 60 and bleach at same time...help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Added polyquat 60 and bleach at same time...help!

I have had a problem with algae for weeks now. All I have for a test kit is the hth 6 way. I slammed about 2 weeks ago and thought it was better. My CYA was 65 so it was getting ridiculous. Since the algae returned, I emptied some water tonight to bring my CYA down to 35. I brushed all crevices including the inside of the pump. My chlorine is 0. I decided that since I didn't add any algaecide at the beginning of the season that I would go ahead and use some now since I emptied some of the green water. I goofed and added the polyquat and then followed right behind with the bleach. Is this going to mess up the whole slamming process? I know that it is already a guessing game since I don't have the right kit but I can't spend anymore on the pool this season. We have had more time out of the water than in. I am very frustrated. Please advise me of what I should do, if at all. Thanks you. I love this forum!
    1700 gal AG vinyl, intex 12x12ft, standard pump and cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Added polyquat 60 and bleach at same time...help!

I'm pretty sure poly 60% isn't effected by chlorine. At least I have never noticed any adverse effects
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Thank you. I wasn't sure if that would mess up the slamming process or even possibly negate the poly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine will slowly break down Polyquat algaecide so you can see an increase in chlorine demand if you use a lot of algaecide, but in the SLAM process this may not be very noticeable since most of the chlorine usage will be from loss by sunlight.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Rinse that intex cartridge often. 2-3 times a day to help keep it filtering good. Not all the time just well your battling algae.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good. Thanks guys.