New construction questions

jms

Jul 31, 2013
Austin, TX
First time to build a pool.

Looking at an 18' x 31' geometric (rectangle) build with a 7' x7' raised spa. There will be benches along a couple of the walls.
I am trying to decide on cleaning system. I have one builder suggesting a simple Polaris system and another suggesting an A&A in-floor system with 17 heads, 31" AVSC drain, 2 50-70 GPM (Ecoskim) venturi skimmers separate from the main floor drain (so full power to the main drain to pull in debris).

I do have trees in the yard so leaves will be an issue. I have read many concerns regarding the infloor systems but have also read good reports when installed and plumbed correctly with enough heads. The builder pushing the infloor system belongs to the Master Guild of pool builders and is very reputable. The one suggesting the Polaris system thinks infloor systems do not work.

I understand that there is no perfect system and I fully expect to do some manual brushing, regardless if it is an infloor system or a simple Polaris system (especially with benches along the walls) I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Also any thoughts on ozone systems with chlorine

Pool will be in central Texas so hard freezes not an issue

Welcome to TFP!

jms said:
Also any thoughts on ozone systems with chlorine
Complete waste of money for outdoor pools. Chlorine is sufficient.

There are many posts about in floor systems. Some people like them, others not so much. If you get it, I would also get separate wall returns as an alternative water path.

There are enough anecdotal reports here on the forum of problems with in-floor systems that I would never choose one. It's mechanical and mechanical things break.

A good circulatory system and a good auto-cleaner (I like robots) will do as well if not better and save money, too.

Plus 1 what jblizzle said about ozone..

I too would pick a robotic cleaner over in floor any day, as they are far easier to replace when the time comes. There are just way too many stories on here about abandoned in place in floor systems for me to ever consider one.

Having been quoted the in ground system and not doing it for reasons outlined above (plus the additional cost), I have not had an issue. Granted the leaves have not started dropping yet, but by then it will have cooled off.

I think I might be able to help with some of this. It sounds like you are building my pool. I have a rectangular pool with a 7x7 spa attached and a bench along the length of the pool. It has an A&A in floor cleaning sytem. Sound familiar? Differences....My pool is larger, 16x34 and I also have a 7x7x18" sun shelf attached, that we love. The pool depth is 3.5 to 5 ft. in the center and back to 4 ft at the other end.

My previous pool had a booster pump and a Polaris for cleaning. The in floor system only does a fair job, and we have few leaves. The Polaris did a much better job with even more leaves and did it in about 1/2 hour or so. But you have the hassle of put it in and taking it out as well and you have to empty the bag a lot. If I were building the pool today I would give up the in floor cleaning and use the money for solar heating. I added it later at an additional $5k.

As far as the ozone system, all it does is expose the water to the effects of UV light. I live in Tucson and my pool is exposed to plenty of UV. From everything I have read it only sanitizes the water passing through the system and has no residual effect on the water in the pool. It's a good thing to have, if you have an in door pool that doesn't get sun light to burn out CC. But for an out door pool, particularly if its in a sunny area, it's a waste of money, that could be used elsewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.