Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moving, and thinking of taking my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Moving, and thinking of taking my pool

I was wondering if I can gets some advice on moving an above ground pool. We are moving and I would like to take the pool. I was wondering if it is wise to dismantle it myself, or hire professionals? I know I will need to hire someone to reinstall it. If I move before the winter season, as fall is approaching, can I store it in the garage over the winter? Also, I will most likely need to get a new liner, even tho the one I have now is fine. If I do move it, anyone have an idea on what to expect on a cost? The installation when buying a pool normally is "free" or added in the cost. So I have no idea what to expect. Or where to even start on finding someone for the job.

Or if anyone here in the Chicagoland area could recommend someone? (its worth a shot)
    Thanks in advance,
    Mary
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover and solar heater panel.
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Cartridge Filter (CCX 1500RE)
    2 HP Hayward Powerflo LX Pump
    Pool and solar heater get full sun, when its shinning daily!!
    Using test kit: Taylor K-2006
    Successful BBB user.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moving, and thinking of taking my pool

How old is the pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

We have had it 6 years. And it looks like new. Still have the plastic covering over the stainless steel panel, lol.
    TBH, I hope when I have it moved, I cant get the liner w/o wrinkles, and little divots on the bottom. Thanks to the BBB method I started season 3, I can see all the imperfections in the bottom of the pool.
    Vinyl Liner
    Successful BBB user.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd at least expect to put in a new liner. Did you originally install it yourselves?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

No, we bought it and it came with free installation.
    Vinyl Liner
    Successful BBB user.

6. Back To Top    #6

IMO, you should probably be able to disassemble the pool yourself, just be sure to keep up with everything. You will definitely need a new liner. I think the cost of reinstallation will depend on the amount of time and labor it takes to get the ground leveled and ready. When we bought our pool the installation was not included in the price. We did most of our own ground work with the tractor before the installers came out. They used a skid steer for about 3 minutes, threw down some sand and completed the install for $750.00. I'm in Alabama instead of Illinois, but maybe that will give you some idea of the cost. Call some local pool companies and ask for quotes and installer recommendations.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought my pool from the LPS and it was the "demo" pool. I went to the store, took it apart, put it into my pickep, drove home and set it up. I have since changed the liner that was chemically damaged.

The process of taking a pool apart is surprisingly simple. It is a collection of screws, plastic and metal pieces and a large metal wall. If you were to carefully take the pool apart systematically in the opposite order of the installation instructions, bagging each type of screw in a separate labeled ziploc bag, you will find it takes only a couple hours to take it apart. If you carefully emptied, dried and bagged the liner, it may even survive the move. There are lots of little pieces but overall its a quite simple process.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Would it be a good idea to take pictures as it is dismantled? I know it would be pretty much cut and dry on assembly but pictures couldn't hurt.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

9. Back To Top    #9

For me, with cheap digital photography, pictures would number in the 100's LOL
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Then you'd be sure to have a shot of that ONE piece you have left over and can't remember where it was supposed to go!

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)