Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of skimmer gasket do I have?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of skimmer gasket do I have?

I wish I could post pictures, but my pool is full and the leak isn't low enough for me to detach the skimmer to take pics. But when I had the pool apart and saw the gasket it looked like this:

It was a one piece gasket with a soft rubber part on the outside of the pool and an identical rubber piece on the inside of the pool. There were tons of screw holes in it, obviously to hold on the skimmer.

When I installed the new liner I simply held the skimmer up to the opening on the outside of the pool, put the faceplate right on top of the new liner on the inside of the pool, felt around for the holes, and put in the screws. Then I cut out the liner in the middle.

It is now leaking and I am going to let the water drain and take it off. I just want to know how you all think I should proceed.

New gasket? If so, what kind?
    New faceplate? There is one crack in it.
    How should I install it?
    Faceplate, liner, gasket, wall, gasket, skimmer?
    Faceplate, gasket, liner, wall, gasket, skimmer?
    Other suggestions?

Hoping this will be the end of the saga this year. Not happy to have my pool blow out, repair the hole, put in a new liner, only to have the skimmer leak.

Thanks all for the help.
    21' round AG, 10k gallons, Proline Pump - 2HP - 2Speed, Sand filter - Brand and size forthcoming
    Water features - my 4yr old splashing me

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of skimmer gasket do I have?

There are two types of skimmer gaskets. The butterfly gasket that envelopes the inside and outside at the same time and the two piece gasket which is what you described. The choice is yours, but it has to have one or the other.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback Bama. Just to clarify, mine isn't two pieces, it is one. And it is on the outside and the inside. Sounds like maybe I have the butterfly?

If so, what order should the liner be? Faceplate, liner, gasket, wall, gasket, skimmer?
    21' round AG, 10k gallons, Proline Pump - 2HP - 2Speed, Sand filter - Brand and size forthcoming

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you do have a butterfly gaskeet.

Actually it's faceplate, gasket, liner, wall, gasket, skimmer body.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So I have to cut the liner to fit exactly into the gasket? That seems like it would be nearly impossible.

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually, it's very easy to do, install the faceplate and skimmer without the gasket, cut around the inside of the faceplate, then remove faceplate and skimmer, install gasket and reinstall faceplate and skimmer. (all this should be done when there is at least 2 feet of water in the pool.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok great, well, the skimmer is already in, so I will just take it apart and try to make it happen. I'll post when I'm done.

Thanks all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Eric, I think a 21Round is actually closer to a 10K gallon fill. That's what I use.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Good call on the 10k. I'll be sure to use that for my chemical measurements.