Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to SWG and nonstop rain

1. Back To Top    #1

New to SWG and nonstop rain

We haven't been able to swim at all this season because of the rain, storms, and flooding. I had a SWG installed in April but it's been impossible to keep anything balanced with all the rain. I've had to do many partial drains. The liner floated in the shallow end and it's wrinkly now but the water table is so high I don't know how to work around that. It's in the blue stage, but still cloudy. I am out of the chlorine reagent and it won't be here until Monday so I can't keep it at shock level. Leslie's doesn't sell it here. I'm just keeping chlorine in it. I don't know what to do about the salt. I tested it with Aquacheck test strips. It says it's down to 1830 ppm. That seems right with as much draining as I've had to do. We started the season with a CYA of 80 and it went to 0 (give or take 20.) I have it back up to 52 and am waiting a week just to make sure not to add too much.

I guess I don't even know what my question is as much as ranting! Should I trust the AquaCheck test strips? That would mean I need to add another 300 pounds or so of salt?
    20K IG vinyl, 1 HP Waterco Supastream pump, Hayward Pro sand filter, Compu Pool CPSC24 SWG
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to SWG and nonstop rain

I would wait to deal with the salt until you are finished with the SLAM process (formerly known as the shock process): http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool Getting your water clear using bleach/liquid chlorine should be your priority first.

With that said, I use the aquacheck strips and they have always been reasonably accurate for me. I usually use a second strip if anything surprises me. Was the swg complaining?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry to hear that !! But could you please send some rain our way !!!!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

4. Back To Top    #4

The swg did not complain, linen. I am just figuring out how to use the timers and such. Seanhan, can I send you the frogs too?
    20K IG vinyl, 1 HP Waterco Supastream pump, Hayward Pro sand filter, Compu Pool CPSC24 SWG
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I swam in my pool for the first time today since installing the swg! It wasn't like I expected, though. My skin feels kind of sticky. Maybe it just takes a little getting used to.

FC 5.9
    CC 0.2
    TA 80
    Salt 3600
    PH 7.4
    CYA - Around 60. Still dissolving in a sock by the return.
    Calcium 20

I'm aerating with a small fountain to raise the PH to 7.6. I'm going to raise the Calcium to 50 and the CYA to 70. Is the chlorine too high and PH too low for comfortable swimming?
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not sure how you can get FC 5.9 and CC .2. Anyways, nothing with those numbers indicates to me that you have a problem with the water.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

It could be user error. I saw just a faint hit of pink and it took one drop of the reagent to be completely clear. I have been manually adding a little extra chlorine until I got the salt level up.

Arrgh, now I am getting a warning from the swg that I have too much salt. They recommend 3500 and I have 3700 so maybe that's why.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Calcium should be between 220 and 320
    Make sure CYA does not exceed 80 !!!
    Here a a pic of my settings based on pool school ...
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Also you might want to get a phosphate test kit.
    Its just a plastic tube and a bunch of test strips.
    Cheap.. Lots of folks say i does not matter , at first i was having some trouble with my SWG keeping up . I called discount salt pool and they said to check phosfates, i did and they were high. I got a phos. Test kit a a bottle of phos free from leslies. After that no more problems with SWG !!! I have had to treat the phos issue twice this summer . It seems to really matter ..
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

10. Back To Top    #10

@Seanhan

Typically there is no need for calcium in a vinyl pool

Also, ignore phosphates. When a pool is properly chlorinated, phosphates can be high without problems. Seanhan, if you are having problems please start a new thread and put your test results there.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks! I ordered a Taylor drop kit to verify the salt level. I might have gotten a bad bottle of test strips. What are you using to test?

Ok, thanks linen. I won't worry about the calcium or phosphates.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ziora
    I swam in my pool for the first time today since installing the swg! It wasn't like I expected, though. My skin feels kind of sticky. Maybe it just takes a little getting used to.
    What does your water look like? Is it clear?

I'm aerating with a small fountain to raise the PH to 7.6.
    No need to raise ph, the swg should do that on it's own. 7.4 is fine (even down to 7.2 or so).

I'm going to raise the Calcium to 50 and the CYA to 70.
    No need to raise your calcium level since you have a vinyl pool, but if you do, 50 is plenty.

Is the chlorine too high and PH too low for comfortable swimming?
    Nope those numbers look fine.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry i missed that it was Vinyl ...
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I was going by this guide. pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator Maybe I was being a little too "by the book" about my numbers. I'm confused about how to test for free chlorine with Taylor. I did what the instructions said. I filled the tube to 25, put in 2 scoops of powder and multiplied my R-0871 drops by 10. Then I noticed it was just very slightly pink and added 1 drop of the other reagent till it was clear which is how I came up with the CC number. Is that not how to do it?
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Each drop of the R-0871 is equal to 0.2 ppm when using the 25 ml sample, so take your total number of drops and multiply by 0.2. In the future I would use 10 ml sample size instead making each drop of the R-0871 equal to 0.5 which is close enough precision. See the extended test kit directions here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206393

It sounds like you did the CC part correctly.

Your test numbers look good to me assuming your cya is still coming up to 70-80 ppm.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you. I appreciate the link and help. I meant that I multiplied it by 0.2. I was thinking of another test that I had to multiply by 10. It's good to be swimming again!
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Finally I can start swimming! My FC tonight is still high at 15. What is a safe level to swim in?

I don't have much debris in the bottom of the pool, but hate to vacuum to waste. Would be it ok to just go through the filter and backwash? I am slow to vacuum.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

As long as your FC is below shock level for your CYA level, go swimming!

Yes, vacuum slow so you don't puff up the junk, but absolutely nothing wrong with vacuuming into the filter. Backwash when the pressure goes up 25%.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

19. Back To Top    #19

Summer is not over for me! First clear and sunny Saturday all season and the pool is looking lovely. I held my breath this morning when I tested the water.

FC 11.5
    CC 0
    CYA 72
    PH 7.4
    CH 20-30
    TA 80
    Salt: 4600 with Taylor drop test
    3700 with AquaCheck test strips

Coffee and then I'm breaking out the floats! TFP rocks!
    Taylor K-2006 test kit