Pump Speed Question

Here's the first of what will probably be many, many questions to this board. Our pool is new this year (started installing late fall) and frankly has been a complete nightmare. Most of it goes back to the installer but regardless we are where we are. Unfortunately I can't seem to get an correct or consistent answer from them on anything. So, I was extremely happy when I found this site. So here is my first question:

The pool is 18X36, liner, approximately 30,000 gallons, salt water. What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is the pump settings. I have a variable speed Intelliflow 3hp, 1.32SF, 3.96 SFHP. It's currently running at speed 3 (2550RPM) from 10am to 6pm or 8 hours. Then it goes back to speed 2 which is 1500 RPM from 6PM until the following 10AM. We just had the filter cleaned out 3 days ago then last night noticed the No Flow light was on again. We back flushed then it worked again. When I called the installer about it they said it should be on speed 4 (3110RPM) from 10am to 6pm and not speed 3. Even though they initially set it at speed 3. So, the million dollar question is which setting should we be using and how long should it run? Thank you.

Welcome to tfp, Aspfam :wave:

First, do you know what your clean filter pressure is? What pressure was the filter at when you cleaned it?

We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure goes up 25% from the clean pressure.

Imo, running your pump that high and for that long seems unnecessary. I would guess you could get by with less and lower speed. I believe the intelliflo is most efficient around 1000 rpm, though that may not be enough for the swg flow switch or to get good skimming. See this document: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time

Aspfam said:
We're taking a sample in tomorrow to validate the chlorine level.
On tfp we do not put much stock in pool store testing which can be very unreliable and you can't get results at the moment you need them. Do you happen to have a drop based 2-way tester (usually two vials attached to each other one tests chlorine one tests ph)...that may be better than the pool store.

Most of us have purchased our own test kit. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.