Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Speed Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Speed Question

Here's the first of what will probably be many, many questions to this board. Our pool is new this year (started installing late fall) and frankly has been a complete nightmare. Most of it goes back to the installer but regardless we are where we are. Unfortunately I can't seem to get an correct or consistent answer from them on anything. So, I was extremely happy when I found this site. So here is my first question:

The pool is 18X36, liner, approximately 30,000 gallons, salt water. What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is the pump settings. I have a variable speed Intelliflow 3hp, 1.32SF, 3.96 SFHP. It's currently running at speed 3 (2550RPM) from 10am to 6pm or 8 hours. Then it goes back to speed 2 which is 1500 RPM from 6PM until the following 10AM. We just had the filter cleaned out 3 days ago then last night noticed the No Flow light was on again. We back flushed then it worked again. When I called the installer about it they said it should be on speed 4 (3110RPM) from 10am to 6pm and not speed 3. Even though they initially set it at speed 3. So, the million dollar question is which setting should we be using and how long should it run? Thank you.
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Speed Question

Welcome to tfp, Aspfam

First, do you know what your clean filter pressure is? What pressure was the filter at when you cleaned it?

We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure goes up 25% from the clean pressure.

Imo, running your pump that high and for that long seems unnecessary. I would guess you could get by with less and lower speed. I believe the intelliflo is most efficient around 1000 rpm, though that may not be enough for the swg flow switch or to get good skimming. See this document: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../pump_run_time
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. This is very helpful. I think clean PSI is around 14 so I'll watch for a 25% increase. We're taking a sample in tomorrow to validate the chlorine level.
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Aspfam
    We're taking a sample in tomorrow to validate the chlorine level.
    On tfp we do not put much stock in pool store testing which can be very unreliable and you can't get results at the moment you need them. Do you happen to have a drop based 2-way tester (usually two vials attached to each other one tests chlorine one tests ph)...that may be better than the pool store.

Most of us have purchased our own test kit. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Funny you should ask. I ordered the tf-100 so it should be here tomorrow. Based on our recent experience I have zero faith in anything the pool company does.

6. Back To Top    #6