Dead algae on bottom..looks like dirt

Jul 11, 2013
Hello guys I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a month or so. I have a 18' x 48" intex metal side pool. The water is crystal clear but I have noticed that every 3 days I have all of this dirt on the bottom. I was told by a pool guy that is was dead algae. I had my water tested today and it is as follows:

FAC - 5
TAC - 5
CH -120
CYA - 80
TA - 80
pH - 7.2

I have been running the pump for only 5 hours a day and now realize that I need to run it longer (12hours) I have a larger intex pump 2500gph filter.
What should I do?

Pool Cac says:
[attachment=0:3qgq6xrr]poolcac.jpg[/attachment:3qgq6xrr]
thanks in advance!

Attachments

• poolcac.jpg
    poolcac.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 151
Spend some time reading the ABC's of pool chemistry. You'll soon learn that our CYA is way too high for a non-swg pool. You'll also learn that continuing to use tablets is only going to make it higher.

And since you posted the grab of the PC you can take a look at the bottom and you'll notice that the lowest your FC should ever get is 6 ppm and you're already below that.

Do you have a good test kit?

Thanks, I have a test kit that does pH and chlorine. I need to get a better kit, the results I posted today were from local pool store this afternoon. I will read more on ABC'S of chemistry, any tips on raising FC? Also what steps should I follow from this point forward?

Thanks,
Tracy

Ok I vacuumed the dead algae into the yard while draining about a foot of water. I am refilling as we speak, should I add some liquid bleach once its filled? I also took the tablets out of the pool, put a clean filter in and will turn pump on after it is filled.

tnkvick said:
Ok I vacuumed the dead algae into the yard while draining about a foot of water. I am refilling as we speak, should I add some liquid bleach once its filled? I also took the tablets out of the pool, put a clean filter in and will turn pump on after it is filled.
Yes. And you'll need to replenish that bleach every few hours. Do you have a proper test kit so you can measure FC frequently and accurately?

Directions on how to clear things up are in the SLAM article in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.