Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead algae on bottom..looks like dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead algae on bottom..looks like dirt

Hello guys I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a month or so. I have a 18' x 48" intex metal side pool. The water is crystal clear but I have noticed that every 3 days I have all of this dirt on the bottom. I was told by a pool guy that is was dead algae. I had my water tested today and it is as follows:

FAC - 5
    TAC - 5
    CH -120
    CYA - 80
    TA - 80
    pH - 7.2

I have been running the pump for only 5 hours a day and now realize that I need to run it longer (12hours) I have a larger intex pump 2500gph filter.
    What should I do?

Pool Cac says:
    [attachment=0:3qgq6xrr]poolcac.jpg[/attachment:3qgq6xrr]
    thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead algae on bottom..looks like dirt

Do you have the swg?
    How did you get those test results? Pool Store?
    If you don't have the swg, how do you normally chlorinate your pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you for the reply, I do not have salt water system I used tablets to chlorinate my pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Spend some time reading the ABC's of pool chemistry. You'll soon learn that our CYA is way too high for a non-swg pool. You'll also learn that continuing to use tablets is only going to make it higher.

And since you posted the grab of the PC you can take a look at the bottom and you'll notice that the lowest your FC should ever get is 6 ppm and you're already below that.

Do you have a good test kit?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I have a test kit that does pH and chlorine. I need to get a better kit, the results I posted today were from local pool store this afternoon. I will read more on ABC'S of chemistry, any tips on raising FC? Also what steps should I follow from this point forward?

Thanks,
    Tracy

6. Back To Top    #6

You should switch to liquid and drain soem water to get the CYA down to about 50 ppm or so.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I vacuumed the dead algae into the yard while draining about a foot of water. I am refilling as we speak, should I add some liquid bleach once its filled? I also took the tablets out of the pool, put a clean filter in and will turn pump on after it is filled.

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits yet? You will need that to get rid of the algae.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tnkvick
    Ok I vacuumed the dead algae into the yard while draining about a foot of water. I am refilling as we speak, should I add some liquid bleach once its filled? I also took the tablets out of the pool, put a clean filter in and will turn pump on after it is filled.
    Yes. And you'll need to replenish that bleach every few hours. Do you have a proper test kit so you can measure FC frequently and accurately?

Directions on how to clear things up are in the SLAM article in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!