Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding bleach daily?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding bleach daily?

I'm new and very pleased with BBB.

My numbers are great and the pool looks good (Knock Wood!)

My only question is it normal to be adding a bit of bleach daily? It's not much but when the pool calc calls for it I do.

I think it's hard to break the puck mindset of drop it and forget it for days.
    24' round/52" deep Leisure Bay AG est. 13.5k gallons
    Hayward TS180 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding bleach daily?

Yes. Read my signature V V V
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Very normal. If you raise it a couple points higher than recommended you can often get by with every-other-day during times where nobody is swimming (which is now for us Ohioans). When people are swimming often or the water temp is over 90 it is best to stay on top of it daily.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

How much are you having to add daily and what is your cya level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!
    Richard 320..that phrase is awesome...so true too.
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I wasn't (too) worried but just wanted to confirm that it wasn't supposed to last for days in there. The first week I was adding bleach in the a.m. (pool gets full sun all day). I finally started adding it at night (failure to follow directions will be noted on my Pool School interim report

7. Back To Top    #7

I cheat a little and add 1 gallon every other day...my CYA is 55-60 and I lose about 2ppm per day...the gallon bumps my chlorine up about 4.5 ppm and that usually gets me through 2 days.
    23,000 gallon gunite with waterfall, radiant heat, sta rite system 3 cartridge filter 450 sq. ft., 1 1/2 HP

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Concho
    I cheat a little and add 1 gallon every other day...my CYA is 55-60 and I lose about 2ppm per day...the gallon bumps my chlorine up about 4.5 ppm and that usually gets me through 2 days.
    This is exactly what BBB allows. Get to know your pool and you can tweak the testing and dosing (to some degree, at least).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Note that if you use a pool cover that is more opaque, then the chlorine loss can be less. Mine is around 1 ppm per day as a result and that's with the pool used every day for 1-2 hours so I add chlorine around twice a week. If the pool were kept closed and not used, the daily loss would be around 0.6 to 0.7 ppm per day and the only reason it's that high is that the water temp is around 88ºF.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! We are full sun, no cover so I know that impacts chlorine loss too.

11. Back To Top    #11

Entirely normal to add chlorine daily during swim season. Organic contaminants are constantly trying to invade a pool and chlorine kills them off before they have a chance to get a foothold. As a result, some chlorine is consumed simply by doing its job as a sanitizer. Sunlight is also another cause of chlorine loss, though a cover can help mitigate loss from this factor.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.