Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Heating Question

I have seen conflicting information out there regarding this topic, so here goes...

During the hottest and sunniest part of the day, will I gain more heat in the pool by leaving my tan automatic cover on or off? We were holding steady at about 84 degrees and the last few days have really chilly for this time of year and now I am down to 76 degrees. Trying to figure out which way will raise the pool temp the most. Maybe it is negligible.
    18 X 36 (21,000 gallons?), IG Vinyl, Tagelus High Rate Sand Filter (Model TA 60/60D - 60 gpm), 1.5 HP Waterway 48 Frame Special Flow Rate Pump (Model SMF-115), Installed June/July 2013, Auto Polaris Cleaner with separate pump, Inline Chlorinator (NOT USING - Using the BBB Method), Waterfall, Stadium Seating Entry, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir (Wichita, Kansas)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heating Question

You'll gain more heat by leaving the cover open during the hottest part of the day and retain more of it by closing it at night.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!! That was my thought but there was lot of other information out there.
    18 X 36 (21,000 gallons?), IG Vinyl, Tagelus High Rate Sand Filter (Model TA 60/60D - 60 gpm), 1.5 HP Waterway 48 Frame Special Flow Rate Pump (Model SMF-115), Installed June/July 2013, Auto Polaris Cleaner with separate pump, Inline Chlorinator (NOT USING - Using the BBB Method), Waterfall, Stadium Seating Entry, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir (Wichita, Kansas)

4. Back To Top    #4

With a solar cover it doesn't make much difference to leave it on, but with an opaque auto cover it blocks more heat.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit