Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the holes for above my returns?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the holes for above my returns?

My pool has two returns at the end of the pool and two returns at the steps, one on either side. Above the returns at the steps, above water line, are smaller 1/2" openings. They gurgle and if I put my hand over a return, water and crud shoots out the smaller opening above it. Are they some kind of air vent?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are the holes for above my returns?

The ones on the steps are called spa jets. The 2 top 1/2" openings should have an adjuster that lets in more or less air. Usually there is a valve back at the pump that allows you to direct full force to these 2 jets, for what it's worth.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah ha! No adjusters- maybe they're missing? Wonder if I can get new ones? When I put the valve on full steps- they start bubbling like crazy. Guess that's my spa... Currently the valve is set between the main returns and the steps. Should it stay that way, or should I be using the two main returns at the end of the pool exclusively?

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I would run them like you're doing now. Somewhere between main and steps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Any idea where to find the little screw in caps for the air adjusters? Google is turning up nothing....

6. Back To Top    #6

I have some of those as well. They are just cut PVC pipe, so no way to screw in any adjuster.

Personally I hate the design because the air gurgling is so loud that I never want to sit in front of them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine are slightly different. Instead of just cut PVC they are threaded and an air adjuster screws in. They are a gimmick at best. I always run with the air adjusters closed so it's just like having 2 normal returns at the steps. You might want to try closing the air inlets off somehow and see if the gurgling is any better.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover