My CC is very high...

Fc 2
    Tc 7.86
    Cc 5.86
    Ph 7.7
    Alk 78
    Cya 51
    Salt 3500
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help lowering CC..

Yes, it appears to be...but what are using to get those numbers?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to SLAM your pool. Link in my signature. What are these results from? It would be best for you to get one of the recommended test kits, also in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Those are pool stores numbers.. In the process of buying a test kit.

Is it safe for the kids to swim?

Thanks for the help
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If those number are correct (pool store results can be unreliable), personally I wouldn't allow swimmers since that high of CC (depending on the type) can be very irritating.

Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Last Thursday I did a full drain acid wash.. So I am in the process of stabilizing the pool. Did a shock and put 6 pucks.. 3 in each skimmer . Also added jacks magenta for staining..

Hope this helps..

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Assuming those numbers are correct, a quick "shock" and pucks in the skimmer are not going to solve the problem (and the general opinion on the forum is that pucks in the skimmer are never an answer). The SLAM process is designed to bring your FC level up to shock levels and to keep it there until the problem is taken care of. It is nearly impossible to do properly without an FAS-DPD test which is only available in a few test kits, 2 of which we recommend (see link in my signature). You need to know your CYA for sure (pool stores are rarely correct on these tests) and will need plenty of chlorine. Assuming the "shock" you use is powdered calcium-hypochlorine you can potentially use it, but our recommendation is liquid chlorine/plain bleach. Never use powdered dichlor or trichlor to do a SLAM.

It is not unsafe necessarily to swim, but CC that high will almost certainly be irritating to swim in. I personally would fix the problem first.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

As has been suggested here and in your other threads...you need a test kit to move forward.

I was going to combine you threads, but I decided against it for now.

Please keep all you posts in this thread from now on until you finish this problem.

9. Back To Top    #9

I understand I need a test kit.. I'm in the process..

Since I have swg can I super chlorinate (shock) instead of slam??

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Traylork
    Since I have swg can I super chlorinate (shock) instead of slam??
    No, it won't fix the problem and is not healthy for the cell. You need to bring it quickly to SLAM level by adding liquid chlorine and keep it there until you meet the 3 criteria: Clear water, Less than 0.5 CC, and Pass an OCLT. It may all sound like overkill if you have never done it, but the process was created through a lot of work and is what it takes to completely eliminate organics and CC from your pool.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a HTH 6 way kit for now..Yes i am going to get a TF 100 test kit..but for now can this kit help me test CC?

I know it shows to test TC...??

12. Back To Top    #12

No, not really. The HTH only measures TC (Total Chlorine) and it is limited to 5 ppm.

If you are going to SLAM the pool and you have any CYA (like from those pucks) you are going to have a shock level target of something near 12-13 FC, based on your CYA. IF you have already ordered your TF and you are NOT swimming, you could add enough bleach to your pool to get to 12 and use your HTH to see that you stay above 5PPM at all times. You could then add an amount to estimate the difference between your measured and 12FC target. I know we are guessing but you have at least some idea where you are at. I don't trust the pool store numbers out of a computer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Have you added cyanuric acid since the refill?

I wouldn't trust that cc reading. Have you used non chlorine shock?

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes i have added CYA...

15. Back To Top    #15

CYA is a stabilizer, not a shock product.

What chemicals have you added to the pool. If you get the actual chemical names that would be great!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100