Want to replaster, and avoid disaster!

Jul 31, 2013
Hello everyone,
First-time poster, but as a relative pool newbie...TFP has been a great resource. I have a 20X40 (approx) Lazy L concrete (not sure if gunite) pool, originally built in 1972. The original plaster is still in decent shape...but the tiles are starting to drop and have many hollow spots. The plaster is starting to wear through in spots...and i think it is time to bite the bullet and bring the old girl back up to specs. I am in the process of receiving quotes and i want to ensure i am somewhat informed as to what questions i should be asking of the plaster companies. I am in Toronto, so my choice of plasterers is very limited (reflected in the price of my first quote - not outrageous...but definitely demonstrating the trade is almost non-existent here!) Here are my questions:
1) is there a better time in the year to do it? Fall? Spring?
2) My first quote is citing they will key around all the pool fittings/jets and remove whatever delaminated plaster exists. I presume they will retain the old stuff that is still bonded and go over it with a new layer...is that ok?
3) Thier base marbelite has 10% quartz added, but you can "upgrade" to 12% and 33%...question is: is it worth it (and how would i know they did it!?)

Thanks everyone...anything you think i should be asking these folks let me know!!

It might be helpful to see if they have any current work you could look at. Without knowing anything about a trade, you can often come away with a good "look and feel" for how they are doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.