Been reading as much as possible here since we got the pool in May - albeit not soon enough to fall for the ionizer pitch, but enough to know maybe not the smartest thing I ever bought.
Yes I have a power ionizer that was promised to save me hundreds of dollars a year. To boot I bought it from the pool store and paid 350, when my buddy next door got his a few week later for 250 off of amazon.
After finding this site I was sickened to read about the problems they can cause. Also being a germaphobe, the fact it doesn't sanitize is ridiculous. I wasn't putting anyting in pool for the first couple of weeks - but after reading the info here I immdiately ordered the test kit, and started adding bleach. Obvioulsy hadn't read enough, cause it took the pool store to tell me to add CYA, but I have it in now.
I check the ph and chlorine daily. and try to maintain a FC of 2. I get full sun most of the day. My CYA was around 30 but may be a little higher since I used a puck when we went on vacation. Not sure what I should keep this at, any suggestions welcomed. Its been a couple weeks since I have had to pump water out of the pool since the rain has subsided somewhat. ( I was pumping out two three inches a week for a while)
Ph has been staying right around 7.5ish. TA is usually somewhere between 70-80 when I check it.
Water clear - no CC.
Copper levels are .3 or less - the test is a bit subjective. I keep it on the lowest setting-1. Thinking of turning it off and just using the inaccurate thermometer on it. Haven't had any issues with the exception of ever so slightly tinted green hair on my wife so she says. The only question I have before turning it off is I wondering if it is helping me stear clear of algae. I realize it is a waste to have it now but if you have it and keep it low is it possible for the two things to exist.
The water feels like it dries me out a little. I checked the TDS just for giggles and its like 630. I have some salt left over from the ionizer startup. Does it hurt anything to add?
The pool doesn't see alot of use. We (me my wife, 8year old, and 3.5 yearold) maybe two three times a week. There isn't alot of debris(thanks to my tree guy). I clean the bugs out of the skimmer frequently, and the pump skimmer has only been cleaned about three times since I have had the pool. I backwashed the filter since I have had to pump out alot of water. If I turn the ionizer off and continue to have to pump out rain water, am I right to assume the copper levels will drop.
Moving forward to next year, assuming I follow the pool closing rules, and don't use the ionizer next year following only the BBB, can I get by without completely draining the pool?
I also am trying to confirm a pool store statement. My CH is low than normal - thanks to all the pumping out and I haven't been back to by the expensive stuff from them. I have a vinyl lined AGP. How important is this and should I be checking it. The pool store statement to my neighbor who has the same was "... the water will leach out the calcium from the liner if you don't maintain blah blah." I don't want to mess up my brand new liner.
Sorry to have rambled, and hopped around. I appreciate any comments and help. Thanks to all of you for your time and dedication to helping those of us in need.