bharkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Lumberton NC
I went to the pool store today looking for liquid shock at a hopefully cheaper price. The guy said that won't sell it because A). transportation issues, and 2). the liquid shock/chlorine only has a half-life of 30 minutes and then becomes ineffective. If that is the case, how does our "BBB" system work?

Pool store employees are notorious for being completely ignorant of facts or outright liars. When it comes to bleach, or whatever you prefer to call liquid chlorine, the information seems to be even worse. What they said is absolutely false.

I was in my favorite LPS, an honest store, and I asked why they don't stock liquid chlorine. She answered it is too hard to keep cool in their limited store space and she can't sell enough to keep it fresh. I liked the answer. I also assume it is had to prices compete with Wal-Mart and the other box stores.

techguy said:
I was in my favorite LPS, an honest store, and I asked why they don't stock liquid chlorine. She answered it is too hard to keep cool in their limited store space and she can't sell enough to keep it fresh. I liked the answer. I also assume it is had to prices compete with Wal-Mart and the other box stores.

At least that is one good answer from them. I beat them up enough so hat's off to one who at least who didn't say it was because chlorine was bad or wouldn't work.

The chart most commonly referenced here is http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/about_product.htm (at the bottom)

The worst case scenario it shows is 10% LQ is reduced to half life in 115 day at 90 degrees, and
15% LQ half life in 48 days also at 90 degrees.

*EDIT this is easier*

chem geek said:
soundguy said:
Question 2
In reference to this chart:
table_effect.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bharkin said:
I went to the pool store today looking for liquid shock at a hopefully cheaper price. The guy said that won't sell it because A). transportation issues, and 2). the liquid shock/chlorine only has a half-life of 30 minutes and then becomes ineffective. If that is the case, how does our "BBB" system work?

His second statement could be called 1/2 true. Liquid Chlorine does get consumed VERY quickly when used in a pool exposed to intense sunlight, and NO CYA.

Leebo said:
His second statement could be called 1/2 true. Liquid Chlorine does get consumed VERY quickly when used in a pool exposed to intense sunlight, and NO CYA.
True, but so would cal-hypo and I would bet they have plenty of that in stock.

And props to techguy's pool store for just being honest instead of lying to try to make a sale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.