Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Huh?

1. Back To Top    #1

Huh?

I went to the pool store today looking for liquid shock at a hopefully cheaper price. The guy said that won't sell it because A). transportation issues, and 2). the liquid shock/chlorine only has a half-life of 30 minutes and then becomes ineffective. If that is the case, how does our "BBB" system work?
    Outback 27' Round 17000 AGP, Pentair Dynaflo 1.5 hp 1 spd, Pentair Sand Dollar 1610 filter, Pool Frog (DOA)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Huh?

Wow ... I never knew chlorine was radioactive.

Chuckle ... poolstores...
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL
    Outback 27' Round 17000 AGP, Pentair Dynaflo 1.5 hp 1 spd, Pentair Sand Dollar 1610 filter, Pool Frog (DOA)

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool store employees are notorious for being completely ignorant of facts or outright liars. When it comes to bleach, or whatever you prefer to call liquid chlorine, the information seems to be even worse. What they said is absolutely false.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I had three separate salespeople swear that I was doing something completely futile. Sadly, the only thing futile was their effort in getting me to buy chemicals.

6. Back To Top    #6

And the darndest thing is... around here anyway, if you look in the back of any pool service truck you see, there are the yellow and orange plastic crates for Muriatic Acid and 12.5% Chlorine. Every last one of them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a pool store for ya lol... Just trying to get you to buy their "expensive" chemicals that you really don't need.
    15' X 48" Intex Metal Frame pool with skimmer on side and Type A filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I was in my favorite LPS, an honest store, and I asked why they don't stock liquid chlorine. She answered it is too hard to keep cool in their limited store space and she can't sell enough to keep it fresh. I liked the answer. I also assume it is had to prices compete with Wal-Mart and the other box stores.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I was in my favorite LPS, an honest store, and I asked why they don't stock liquid chlorine. She answered it is too hard to keep cool in their limited store space and she can't sell enough to keep it fresh. I liked the answer. I also assume it is had to prices compete with Wal-Mart and the other box stores.

At least that is one good answer from them. I beat them up enough so hat's off to one who at least who didn't say it was because chlorine was bad or wouldn't work.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

The chart most commonly referenced here is http://www.odysseymanufacturing.com/about_product.htm (at the bottom)

The worst case scenario it shows is 10% LQ is reduced to half life in 115 day at 90 degrees, and
    15% LQ half life in 48 days also at 90 degrees.

*EDIT this is easier*

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by soundguy
    Question 2
    In reference to this chart:
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bharkin
    I went to the pool store today looking for liquid shock at a hopefully cheaper price. The guy said that won't sell it because A). transportation issues, and 2). the liquid shock/chlorine only has a half-life of 30 minutes and then becomes ineffective. If that is the case, how does our "BBB" system work?

His second statement could be called 1/2 true. Liquid Chlorine does get consumed VERY quickly when used in a pool exposed to intense sunlight, and NO CYA.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    His second statement could be called 1/2 true. Liquid Chlorine does get consumed VERY quickly when used in a pool exposed to intense sunlight, and NO CYA.
    True, but so would cal-hypo and I would bet they have plenty of that in stock.

And props to techguy's pool store for just being honest instead of lying to try to make a sale.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits