Liquid chlorine and Ph

May 20, 2012
I suppose this is covered somewhere, I have just failed to find it . Does the liquid chlorine cause the Ph to rise. I've been using it all season and have noticed a slow steady rise in my Ph, approaching the 8.0 range.
I just follow the adding acid calculator, correct? I'm very nervous about working with acid. I had a terrible encounter with it in HS chemistry once, so I'm skittish around it. Any other options to lower Ph?

Bleach is long term pH neutral or just slightly basic (raises pH). When you add bleach the pH goes up temporarily, and then as the chlorine gets consumed the pH goes down again.

The pH in my pool tends to drift up, but this has more to do with aeration as I have a spillover spa and the waterfall coming from it into the pool results in aeration.

Although I prefer muriatic acid, you can also lower pH using dry acid.

There is no best time, just do it at the same time daily to detect a trend. Virtually all pools on this forum report some pH rise over time....SWG pools even more so.

Using muriatic acid to lower pH is an ordinary part of pool water management.

What would happen if I didn't put in muriatic acid every week to try to get the PH down?
You would get a polite knock on the door from the TFP police. After a brief interview, you would get off with a written warning.....this time. :shock: :shock:

Sorry, I have too much time on my hands. :oops:

One of the MOST important factors in keeping your pH lower than 8.0 is calcium scaling and possible other metal precipitation. That alone is worth keeping it in check.

Left unchecked, your pool will find a "happy spot" for pH and stay there pretty much. Unfortunately, that happy spot is usually too high.

Muriatic acid can be found in hardware stores, including big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. They tend to be in different places in different stores so ask somebody. Meijer typically carries it in their paint and stain section, and sometimes you can find it at Walmart.

Also if I leave my pool alone it will settle in comfortably in the mid to upper 8ish range. I did not keep a very good eye on my pool the first year :oops:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Donldson said:
Muriatic acid can be found in hardware stores, including big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. They tend to be in different places in different stores so ask somebody. Meijer typically carries it in their paint and stain section, and sometimes you can find it at Walmart.

Also if I leave my pool alone it will settle in comfortably in the mid to upper 8ish range. I did not keep a very good eye on my pool the first year :oops:

Thanks, it looks like that's where mine is trying to settle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.