Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine and Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine and Ph

I suppose this is covered somewhere, I have just failed to find it . Does the liquid chlorine cause the Ph to rise. I've been using it all season and have noticed a slow steady rise in my Ph, approaching the 8.0 range.
    I just follow the adding acid calculator, correct? I'm very nervous about working with acid. I had a terrible encounter with it in HS chemistry once, so I'm skittish around it. Any other options to lower Ph?
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Inground pool 29,000 gals

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid chlorine and Ph

Bleach is long term pH neutral or just slightly basic (raises pH). When you add bleach the pH goes up temporarily, and then as the chlorine gets consumed the pH goes down again.

The pH in my pool tends to drift up, but this has more to do with aeration as I have a spillover spa and the waterfall coming from it into the pool results in aeration.

Although I prefer muriatic acid, you can also lower pH using dry acid.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

So then when is the best time to check Ph? I do have a heavy swimmer load, so I guess that could contribute to my rising Ph. Anything else that would increase Ph?
    Cincinnati, Ohio

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There is no best time, just do it at the same time daily to detect a trend. Virtually all pools on this forum report some pH rise over time....SWG pools even more so.

Using muriatic acid to lower pH is an ordinary part of pool water management.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

My PH is always high also. Pool looks great. What would happen if I didn't put in muriatic acid every week to try to get the PH down?
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

What would happen if I didn't put in muriatic acid every week to try to get the PH down?
    You would get a polite knock on the door from the TFP police. After a brief interview, you would get off with a written warning.....this time.

Sorry, I have too much time on my hands.

One of the MOST important factors in keeping your pH lower than 8.0 is calcium scaling and possible other metal precipitation. That alone is worth keeping it in check.

Left unchecked, your pool will find a "happy spot" for pH and stay there pretty much. Unfortunately, that happy spot is usually too high.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright Alright I don't want a knock on the door. I will keep putting MA in. Thanks
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine just went over 8.0

Where do you guys get your MA?
    Cincinnati, Ohio

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool water looks awesome BTW
    Cincinnati, Ohio

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Muriatic acid can be found in hardware stores, including big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. They tend to be in different places in different stores so ask somebody. Meijer typically carries it in their paint and stain section, and sometimes you can find it at Walmart.

Also if I leave my pool alone it will settle in comfortably in the mid to upper 8ish range. I did not keep a very good eye on my pool the first year
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    Muriatic acid can be found in hardware stores, including big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. They tend to be in different places in different stores so ask somebody. Meijer typically carries it in their paint and stain section, and sometimes you can find it at Walmart.

Also if I leave my pool alone it will settle in comfortably in the mid to upper 8ish range. I did not keep a very good eye on my pool the first year
    Thanks, it looks like that's where mine is trying to settle.
    Cincinnati, Ohio