Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will a digital pH meter read accurately at high chlorine lvs

1. Back To Top    #1

Will a digital pH meter read accurately at high chlorine lvs

Will a digital pH meter read accurately at high chlorine levels?
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

How are you sure they ever read accurately?

Honestly, I am not sure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I keep it calibrated so yes I trust it, I'm just not sure about it during the shock treatment.
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You may be able to find some discussion about this, I seem to recall something, but not the end result.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Will a digital pH meter read accurately at high chlorine

Why don't you test it? Get a glass of water - measure the pH. Pour in some bleach and see what happens.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

6. Back To Top    #6

A digital ph meter is not affected by high FC readings. Of course the meter needs to be calibrated and a reference solution in the range of expected ph should be checked for accuracy.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

A properly calibrated electronic PH meter will read correct even at very high FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_W
    Why don't you test it? Get a glass of water - measure the pH. Pour in some bleach and see what happens.
    Mike
    Because this would change the content from PPM to Percent and it would skew the result by changing the water's pH. It might even ruin your sensor if the mixture was strong enough. Trust me, don't do this.

Jason says it correctly above. Even high PPM FC in a given water sample will not affect any reliable electronic pH meter.

To the casual reader, any pH meter has to be calibrated regularly to be reliable. Weekly at an absolute minimum, daily is best. This requires expensive reference buffers that will expire. As a rule, only the the most expensive pH meters are reliable enough to rely on for accuracy. These 200-300 or so dollar units won't last long, even in nice clean pool water. If the bulbs ar not maintained and kept wet 24/7--365, they won't last beyond a week or two. You will get lucky with the occasional one, but not too often.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Note that the pH does rise when you add a hypochlorite source of chlorine. How much it rises depends on the initial pH, the TA level, whether there is CYA in the water, and whether there are borates. The following gives the pH rise for different scenarios when adding 10 and 20 ppm FC:

80 ppm TA, 0 ppm CYA
    adding 10 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 7.43
    pH 7.5 to 7.76
    pH 7.8 to 8.03
    adding 20 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 7.62
    pH 7.5 to 7.93
    pH 7.8 to 8.16

80 ppm TA, 30 ppm CYA
    adding 10 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 7.52
    pH 7.5 to 8.13
    pH 7.8 to 8.48
    adding 20 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 8.08
    pH 7.5 to 8.54
    pH 7.8 to 8.74

80 ppm TA, 30 ppm CYA, 50 ppm Borates
    adding 10 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 7.41
    pH 7.5 to 7.73
    pH 7.8 to 7.98
    adding 20 ppm FC
    pH 7.2 to 7.65
    pH 7.5 to 7.91
    pH 7.8 to 8.11

So you can see that 50 ppm Borates pretty much counteracts the extra pH rise associated with having CYA in the water. CYA causes the pH to move more when you add chlorine because CYA is a hypochlorous acid buffer so when hypochlorite is added, most of it becomes hypochlorous acid that binds to CYA whereas without CYA much more of the hypochlorite remains so.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"