What the Heck is THIS?

PJ

In The Industry
Oct 11, 2012
HI ALL!
I have a conundrum and some pics to go with it. I mostly would like to hear if anyone has ever seen this before or can tell me what it is/how to get rid of it. First off, let me say, I have no idea what was put in this pool. But let me give you the history that I know of:

Sept 2012: I was called by a renter of a house with an inground/ indoor pool to test his water and troubleshoot some chemistry issues. He had found this site and was attempting to use BBB. They had no previous knowledge of what the homeowners had added or used chemically to maintain their pool (and that had been some months prior....). There was a chlorine (tab) feeder and an empty bucket of chlorine....so we all assumed chlorine. Original test results were as follows (best that I can remember):
ALK 0/neg
PH LOW LOW way below 6
FC 0
CC 0
CYA 0
CAL 240

Now the reason they had called me was because the water was a carribean blue (copper precipitate)....they had already begun to adjust the PH and had shocked it (there is a heater attached to the pool). We added a bottle of sequesterant and I walked them through the process of bringing up the ALK and PH.....(they wanted to do it all on their own). I also advised them to use tabs to get an established level of CYA.....discussed a sand change as well. To note: the blue stuff was thick enough to leave a ring on the steps and one day when the power went out it all sank to e bottom of the pool, I had them vacuum it to waste. Also the liner is wrinkled all to heck due to the acidic water.

2 months later.....I get an e-mail from the guys telling me his pool has turned purple.....scratched my head on this one, told him I'd like to take a look at it (manganese?) ....he never called.

Fast forward to this week....has has sold, new homeowner called me to ask where the filter should go (the pool is 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi sand filter and pump)....I told him I had been there before and asked what had happened to the filter....he described the equipment....it was still there....he thought it required a cartridge filter somewhere.....anyway long story short, I was walking him through the backwash process....and his pump went out. He had me come out to trouble shoot. I could not believe my eyes.....

[attachment=0:1q324ojg]20130729_171133.jpg[/attachment:1q324ojg]
[attachment=1:1q324ojg]20130729_171120.jpg[/attachment:1q324ojg]
[attachment=2:1q324ojg]20130729_171113.jpg[/attachment:1q324ojg]

It looks like body oil mixed with gasoline on top of the water....water is still a little blue from the copper, and there is purple powder/straks all over the pool deck from the cover from some point in time.
Test results:
ALK 100
PH 6.8
FC 0
CC 0
CYA way over 100
CAL 230

I have him draining down at least 1/2 the water and re-filling while I fix his pump. BTW this "sheen" did not occur until he had previously shut the pump off. Also they all swam in it and got a rash. There was an empty 50# bucket of tabs sitting there and a box of borax.

HELP?

Attachments

• 20130729_171113.jpg
    20130729_171113.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 20130729_171120.jpg
    20130729_171120.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 318
  • 20130729_171133.jpg
    20130729_171133.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 318
I have no idea what this mess could be! Does it smell? You might try one of those enzyme additives like Pool Perfect to see if that breaks it down. Another thought is to use some of those oil spill mats and see if you can soak that stuff up. You could also run the pool through the slam process until everything is right again.

The purple is probably copper cyanurate. The oil looks like the type of oil used in a submersible pump.

If they usd a submersible pump, and the seal broke, then the oil could have leaked out.

The oil is a dielectric type of mineral oil used to help keep the pump cool.

It might be baby oil, which is also a type of mineral oil. Absorbent foam will help. Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry might help.

Ok ....so first step following pump repair. I added 3 bottles of sequesterant (25,000 gallon pool). Then proceeded to show the homeowner how to use his heater....or should I say open up the access panel to find a river. (another victim of acidic water). So I shut down the system again...came back the next day and bypassed the heater....hope to see some change today.

The water s now cloudy with no film on top, but it did not appear until the pump was shut down. The filter is not pulling out a lot, so I'm hoping it's not just all mixed in. I am going to use some enzyme following a shock process this week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.