Another Chlorine Free Alternative

andye

Jul 31, 2013
Hi Everyone - I'm new here although have been lurking around for a few weeks reading about chlorine free pool alternatives etc and had come to the conclusion that I would just go with a salt chlorinator. Then I got some advice from the guys who will be building our new pool that there was a new product on the market and I wanted to try to get feedback from the knowledgeable people n here about it.

This system is called HyroxyPure and is made by WaterCo in Australia (see here http://www.waterco.com.au/component/vir ... ree-system). I was also given a link to this study http://jspsi.poolhelp.com/ARTICLES/JSPS ... p39-50.pdf on what I am told is the same kind of system.

Would be really grateful for any comments from the experts around here on the efficacy of such a system.

Thanks in advance - Andy.

Welcome to TFP.

This system appears to use a combination of hydrogen peroxide and ozone. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer, but is not a sanitizer. Ozone is normally used as a oxidizer as well, but is also a weak sanitizer. Ozone at levels high enough to be an effective sanitizer is going to cause respiratory problems. It isn't completely clear to me if they are using low ozone levels, and thus not sanitizing effectively, or if they are using higher ozone levels and therefore are going to cause respiratory problems. In any case, I don't recommend using this system.

Note that the Australian APVMA website only lists a small number of hydrogen peroxide products for swimming pools and that at least one of them is used as an oxidizer with Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB as the primary disinfectant. Hydroxypure is not listed.

Note also that their product brochure says "The Hydroxypure's Hybrid Ozone technology simulates the action of the sun; it produces a high intensity wavelength of light that produces a clean form of ozone that is free of impurities." Generally speaking, UltraViolet (UV) ozone systems produce relatively little ozone. Corona Discharge (CD) systems are much more efficient ozone generators.

Unfortunately, the level of hydrogen peroxide needed for disinfection is rather high at around 50 ppm which can be irritating. It is not unlike using chlorine with no CYA in the water so oxidizes swimsuits, skin and hair more strongly than one would like. It is not, however, approved by the EPA via DIS/TSS-12 for use as a disinfectant. It is also not approved by Health Canada as a product label search only shows hydrogen peroxide used in paper manufacturing (to prevent biofouling) and food processing, but not in swimming pools.

As for the JSPSI paper, it should be noted that hydroxyl radicals are also produced in outdoor chlorinated swimming pools exposed to sunlight. When chlorine breaks down in sunlight it produces hydroxyl radicals (HOCl + h? --> OH• + Cl•).

Firstly, welcome to TFP!

Everyone has pretty much covered why it's not a very good idea above, especially chem geek stating that it will most likely be very bad on swimsuits, hair, and skin. What I am wondering is, if you have been lurking and doing research for a while, why do you have an interest in a non-chlorine alternative?

I'm sure you have seen nearly unanimous acclaim for chlorine here, whether introduced by liquid or SWG. Are you still having some reservations or questions about using chlorine itself that we can possibly help more fully explain to you? Getting a new pool is a big decision, and how you sanitize it is very important. So if there is anything you have questions about you should ask them so you can be sure you are making those decisions with all the facts available to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.