Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home from vacation and pool is green!

1. Back To Top    #1

Home from vacation and pool is green!

We were in Mexico for a week and returned to a light but obvious green pool. Somehow our SWG was set at 13% plus we had a lot of rain...

PH 7.5
    FC 0.5
    CC 0.5
    CYA 35

Gallons 18,850
    Temp 85

I think we need to shock the pool and get our FC up to 14 per the pool calculator and monitor it until the FC doesn't drop, the pool clears and our CC remains less than 0.5, hubby doesn't think we need to shock it.

Help!!!
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Home from vacation and pool is green!

Yep. You need to SLAM. Follow the directions in pool school to the T. Turn off SWG and use bleach.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Also your CYA is low for a SWG. you want your CYA to be 70-80 ppm for SWG. But leave it where it is for now.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! This is our first time having a green pool...

I turned my SWG to 0%. I just added bleach 8.25% to raise my FC to 14 per the Pool Calculator based on my CYA level. Should I re-check the FC in an hour and then add more bleach to keep it above 14 until it passes the over-night test and looks clear? How long should I wait to add CYA? I am actually thankful the CYA was low from the heavy rain as my shock FC is lower than if it was in normal range.
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

5. Back To Top    #5

Wait an hour or so then retest and redose. The loss between the first two tests will help you decide how long to wait until the third. Everything else you said is correct.

Wait until the SLAM process is over, then bring the CYA up.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much for the help! Can anyone explain why my CC is only 0.5?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Can anyone explain why my CC is only 0.5?
    Not sure I understand....what do you think it should be?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I think she wonders why because pool is light green.

Just my guess.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Ideally the CC should be 0. Note that presence of algae does not necessarily mean you will read high CC values.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I went to bed last night after 3 doses and the FC was 16, woke up at 5 am (5 hours later) and it was 8. I added more bleach and have been testing it hourly and adding more bleach to keep my FC above 14. Pool is still a green tint. We've gone through 6 bottles of 8.25% bleach. Wonder how many more I will use?

I expected my CC to be higher due to the algae.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

We've gone through 6 bottles of 8.25% bleach. Wonder how many more I will use?
    It depends on how much organic material is in your pool. On the high side, people have reported 80 jugs, I think.

6 gallons is VERY low and I think you will use a LOT more since you still have some green in your pool.

You can disregard your CC's test while you are SLAMming. Test again when your pool is spakling.

Keep your chlorine up....there is no alternative.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    We've gone through 6 bottles of 8.25% bleach. Wonder how many more I will use?
    It depends on how much organic material is in your pool. On the high side, people have reported 80 jugs, I think.

6 gallons is VERY low and I think you will use a LOT more since you still have some green in your pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Yeah, sorry. It takes what it takes.
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok, so this time I waited 2 hours to check the FC and it was 11.

I've been reading pool school and since we checked the CYA last night indoors (35) and it is recommended to test during the day outdoors, I re-checked it outside in the sun as directed and it reads 20. I don't know how it is that low but anyways, should I lower my shock FC to 10 as the chart says or keep it at 14?

My test kit is ~18 months old but has been stored in a closet and I have plenty of it. Would this make a difference? It's only day two and I'm feeling defeated...

15. Back To Top    #15

So I decided to take a water sample down to the pool store to double check my CYA. He registered it at 30 in the store light. He then said your chlorine is WAY too high. I explained the SLAM process and he said the bleach would eventually "bleach out all my numbers" and I would be in a mess, so I needed to stop that now and that he had a product that would get rid of the algae in 1 day but that I would always have issues with algae. I declined and said I would trust the process and told him I haven't had algae in almost 2 years that I have had my pool using the tips from TFP. He was dumbfounded I haven't had algae

16. Back To Top    #16

If you think your CYA is truly 35 use what the chart says. I would recheck it the next time you have a good sunny day.

I think the kit is good for 18 months. Might be ok if stores properly.

Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you pwrstrk. I have a question regarding "heaping" spoon full. I went about 3 1/2 hours between testing and the FC was 7. That seemed low so I tried again and got 8.5, I used 8 for the pool calculator and kept my target at 14 so added 172 oz of bleach. We are now up to nine 122 ml bottles of 8.25% bleach. The water looks much better than yesterday, almost normal. We keep finding areas of green on the pebble sheen and keep brushing the pool. I keep reading stories on the process but worry about the amount of bleach I have poured into my pool and the accuracy of my "heaping" spoon full to test the chlorine.

Must.trust.the.process.

18. Back To Top    #18

Too much powder is not a prob. Too little is. You might want to check FC levels a little more often. The longer you keep it at a higher shock level the faster the process will go. You know the three tests you have to pass to stop the slam.

POP pool owner patience !!

Jeff

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool is looking SO much better but we are still losing FC so we are continuing with the SLAM process! Currently on our 12th jug of 8.25% bleach.

20. Back To Top    #20

Remember its a process. Keep the throttle down and it will surrender.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast