Free Chlorine loss vs UV index

Jul 12, 2013
Spring, Tx
has anyone investigated the relationship of FC loss to the UV index?

I was calculating the balance point for my SWG based on 60% loss due to UV and I wondered if the relationship is linear to the UV index.

My pool should be stable at 5ppm with the cell set to 63% with a 10 hour pump time if the 60% loss holds true.

It was 45 yesterday. I added a gallon of liquid CYA this afternoon. I just finished SLAMming this morning. I didn't want to crank the CYA up until after I had finished. It's possible that my loss will drop now that I'm not feeding my FC to organics.

The UV Index calculation is described in this EPA link where you can see that the amount of UV radiation by wavelength is weighted by its effects on human skin. The UV index is overweighted at 400 nm compared to chlorine loss since the molar extinction coefficient is low at that wavelength. Their 320 nm peak is similar to that for chlorine but they assume more UV gets through at 290 nm than is actually the case according to standard sun irradiance.

At any rate, the UV index would be a reasonable number to use to assess predicted chlorine loss from the UV in sunlight -- not perfect, but not horrible either.

Reactions: DanF
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.