new(ish) sand filter returning fine debris to pool

in-two

Silver Supporter
Nov 13, 2011
Sabina, Italy
Not sure if this is a pure filter issue or treating/balancing water, or both, but here goes; I have the usual 'greyish/milky water after shocking' issue. I know it can take time to clear but I've been at it for 12 days. I can see the bottom (8feet) just, but every morning there is a lot of fine greyish dust on the pool bottom, particularly at the floor/wall joins. When vacuuming through the filter there is a plume of the same stuff coming out of the returns (which are in the bottom of my pool). Clearly the material is too fine for the filter, or something is wrong. Vacuuming to waste is not a great option as fresh water here is scarce and expensive and a bit unfair on my neighbours whose taps run dry when I'm filling my pool... I have a conventional sand filter fitted new two years ago which seems to be functioning correctly in that there seem to be no obvious plumbing issues, air or water leaks, ditto pump. My questions are:
How can I check that the filter is filtering correctly, or as well as it can?
Would adding DE help?
Would trying flocculent likely work, and what's the best procedure?

Thanks to anybody who can help, and generally to everybody that contributes to this site, which is a Godsend.

1) When is the last time you backwashed? Backwash and rinse your filter if you haven't in the past 24-48 hours.
2) Let the debris settle for at least a couple hours and then vacuum worst areas of the floor to waste
3) Add DE to your sand filter following the instructions in Pool School. Keep an eye on it, if you pool is really dirty you may need to backwash in <2 hours the first few times.

quick progress report and dumb question, found some DE, my filter took 2.2lbs (1kilo) to increase filter pressure by 1 psi, from 18 to 19. Seems to be working really well, no visible plume of debris from the returns during vacuuming. Pool seems to be clearing but still a way to go.
Dumb question; filter pressure is slowly rising (a good sign I think), when I eventually backwash will I need to re-dose with DE, i.e does backwashing tend to wash out the DE as well. If so is the dosing procedure the same, enough to increase pressure by 1psi or should I aim for the previous value, 19 psi?
Thanks for helping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.