Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Non-chlorine "shock"

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    South Florida

    Non-chlorine "shock"

    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 50
    salt 3400
    Temp 91

    How long will Non-chlorine shock affect CC test with fas dpd test kit. I sued 2 bags of it because I had it to try and eliminate a .5 cc reading I continuously have despite keeping the chlorine level at 20 for over a week. Why a week? Because I always have a .5 cc reading and our eyes get very irritated. I'm about to give up
    IG ~14,000 Gal
    Pentair clean n clear Cartridge 100g/
    SWG Aquapure 1400
    Hayward XL Cleaner
    Premix Marbletite Freestone series
    1.5Hp 2 speed

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Twin Cities, MN

    Re: Non-chlorine "shock"

    Assuming your were using the 10 ml sample, as long as one drop of the R-0871 clears it up then no need to worry about it. If it takes two, then worry and chlorine and the SLAM process is the solution.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    San Rafael, CA USA

    Re: Non-chlorine "shock"

    Try using a 25 ml water sample where each drop is 0.2 ppm and you may find that your CC is <= 0.2 ppm. If your pool is exposed to sunlight regularly and not covered all the time, your CC is probably low. As for your eye irritation, your numbers look OK so I don't know where that is coming from.

    The non-chlorine shock will usually be gone within a week. It can be shorter than that if there is something in the pool to oxidize. If you were going to use it more frequently, you can get the Taylor K-2042MPS interference remover[/url] to be able to distinguish between the MPS level and true CC.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    SW Louisiana

    Re: Non-chlorine "shock"

    In my experience MPS typically shows up as elevated CC for about 3 to 5 days after it is added (slowly tapers off), note I do have the Taylor K-2042 test that Chemgeek mentioned since I do occasional use MPS for supplemental oxidation. Of course that is only my experience, and may depend on factors like dose level, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sebring, Florida

    Re: Non-chlorine "shock"

    Just a note to point out to the casual reader that Isaac-1 has an indoor pool. MPS has quite a few benefits for an indoor pool but not so much for a properly maintained outdoor pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts