Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High speed or Low?

1. Back To Top    #1

High speed or Low?

Century B2982 motor. I'm new to 2 speed motors.

High (7.4 amps):
    Run 3-4 hours
    Better skimming action, Poolskim "cyclones" (quite amazing)
    Better circulation
    Filter pressure 25 psi

Low (1.4 amps):
    Run 8-9 hours
    Main skimmer doesn't do a thing, Poolskim "works"
    Could be stagnant areas?
    Filter pressure 8 psi
    A little cheaper to run, even 9 hours.

Which one is best? Better motor life? Better filtering? Better chemical dispersal? What is "normal" for those that have a 2 speed motor?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High speed or Low?

Low - for the WAAAAY better electric bill.

... and supposedly the filter works better on low.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You will still have a decent amount of circulation in your pool on low, stagnant areas shouldn't be a problem. I run mine 24/7, which is overkill I know but it actually uses less power than if I ran high for 4 hours so I figure why not. The main skimmer will still work just fine, I have to empty my basket every day, and with the pool skim you shouldn't have a problem.

If in doubt give it a week or two and see what you think of the results.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Low is what I figured, what's to point of a two speed pump if it wasn't better on low. Actually my skimmer does not do much on low, I can place a cottonwood tree cotton (it's like a feather) 3" in front of the skimmer and it won't get sucked in. Anything within an inch normally goes in, but that's not much. The Poolskim is what gets 80%, main skimmer 10%, left in pool 10% (new stuff), that's on low. Think I'll set mine at 10 hours 10am-8pm.

I forgot to turn off my DIY chlorinator, ran my pump on high for an hour and sucked about 3 quarts of Clorox into the pool. I would guess my FC is at least 10-12. No harm in that, right? Just go without for a couple days (normal is 4-6).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Low speed will save more money in energy cost but you also have to take into account other requirements. I find skimming is somewhat diminished on low speed as well and most of the skimming will occur in the first hour anyway so running on high speed for an hour to get good skimming and cleaner action might be a solution which is what I do. There is diminishing return after the first hour so then it might make sense to switch to low speed after that for just circulation and chlorination.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

In NJ I pay .16 per KW. based on that and 5 hours high/10 hours low it looks like you would save about 50 cents a day by using low. Guess you have to decide if 50 cents/day is worth it for the main skimmer to work and the better poolskim performance.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I'm beginning to think worrying about electricity is more an A/C thing than a pool pump thing. Maybe I save $1-$2 per month on low, that wasn't much of concern. My recent usage:

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

High speed is also for vacuuming.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

What's that? Aquabot 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    High speed is also for vacuuming.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    Yeah, I'm beginning to think worrying about electricity is more an A/C thing than a pool pump thing. Maybe I save $1-$2 per month on low, that wasn't much of concern.
    I know it's that way for me. My 1hp super pump II (single speed) is only costing me about 35 cents a day to run. On the other hand my central A/C can add hundreds of dollars to my bill per month.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

11. Back To Top    #11

Craziness... I guess it really does depend on the pool and plumbing. On high mine costs well north of a buck a day, on low - less than 30 cents. Pressure on low is 4psi, on high is 28 ... small pipes and at least a couple of hack job repairs along the way (that I have identified so far).
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

It is somewhat counter intuitive but smaller/higher head loss plumbing results in lower power consumption from a pool pump. It is only when the pool owner compensates for the lower flow rates with longer run times, that it becomes more expensive.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

So I think this is correct (at 12 cents per KW):

Low, 1.4A x 240V = .336 KW x .12 = 4 cents x 8 hours = 32 cents per day

High, 7.4A x 240V = 1.78 KW x.12 = 21 cents x 4 hours = 82 cents per day

So an extra $15/mo to run on high.

Cost to "run" my pool: $10 Elec + $18 (7-121oz. Clorox) + $6 (1 gallon MA) = $34.00 per month!
    (plus "incidentals" like floats, beer, robot, 15 minutes per week "labor")

Thank you BBB and TFP!
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB