Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loud Pool Pump Problems. Do I replace or fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Loud Pool Pump Problems. Do I replace or fix?

This is my second thread on this forum. You all helped so much with the last thread, so I'm hoping for good results this time as well!

I recently moved into a house with a pool, so I've been teaching myself everything as I go. The previous owner (only here for 2 years) did not know anything about the pool and never had it running.

My pool pump, from what I can tell, is a STA RITE Dura Glas II (I can't figure out any more about the specs). Lately I've noticed it running louder than before. We've been running it quite a bit, nearly 24/7. I have a pump timer on the way so we can run it less. Anyways, as time goes by it's getting louder and louder.

The pump primes right up and everything with the main drain and skimmers and returns seems to work great. We have great pressure and (thanks to this forum) crystal clear water.

I know the loudness can be a lot of things, so how do I determine which route to take. Could it be my filter? Bad bearings? A dying motor? Water in the pump?

Here is a link to a vid. showing the loudness, and the pump kicking on and off.
    Missouri (full sun, but wooded area), 19K gal, IG painted plaster, sand filter (more specific info. to come), cascade waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Loud Pool Pump Problems. Do I replace or fix?

Bearings. You can replace the bearings or replace the motor. It's pretty easy overall. You can get a remanufactured motor pretty cheap.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3
    laconia, NH

I did my sand filter pump bearings for about 5$. Good bearings cheap all over eBay. It's easy to do also.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Second the motion. I found TFP a couple years ago when I was looking for help to fix my pump. $20 for the bearings (but you can find them for much cheaper) and $15 for a puller from Harbor Freight and I was back in business. Still running strong and quiet.

I think in general peole give up on pumps too early. I'd spend the time and fix it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry