Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Switch / Air Line problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Switch / Air Line problem

Hello All. The hot tub next to the pool has an air actuated switch to turn on the blower. The air line has a leak in it and the switch will not work. I have a new plunger switch and a new airline to install. The problem is I canít get the old airline out of the conduit. It is about 40 feet from the air plunger switch to the relay. I put the water hose on the conduit and blew out a lot of dirty water and waited until I got a good flow of clean water. I have pulled on both ends and canít get the old line out. I am wondering if the old line has partially melted and stuck to the pipe somewhere. Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Air Switch / Air Line problem

Welcome to tfp, TBS

Can you run an electrical fish tape through the conduit?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not tried a fish tape yet. I was hoping I could just tie the new line to the old one and pull them both through but that did not work. I may try to run the fish tape through with the old air line still in there and see what happens.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW MO

It wouldn't surprise me if the lines weren't sticking. Maybe pour some mineral oil into the conduit and flush it through to loosen things?
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5

I had the same thought. I was going to blow all the water out of the conduit with an air compressor and then pour hot water in the conduit and see if that would loosen it up. I like the mineral oil idea. I can see the plastic / rubber just sticking to the side of the conduit pipe.